Infamous hoaxes that fooled the world into believing

11 REPLIES 11

A reading of "War of the worlds" over the radio in 1938 supposedly caused hysteria in America.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/infamous-war-worlds-radio-broadcast-was-magnificent-fluke-180...

image host
Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

A reading of "War of the worlds" over the radio in 1938 supposedly caused hysteria in America.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/infamous-war-worlds-radio-broadcast-was-magnificent-fluke-180...

one of my all time favorite storys and movies

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

Spoiler
Children Overboard ???     Smiley Surprised
Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

@davidc4430 wrote:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-28/infamous-hoaxes-that-fooled-the-world-into-believing/9707050

I remember one April 1st hoax on TV. I don't think it fooled the world or even most of Victoria but it was funny & apparently some people fell for it.

On a current affair type program they showed spaghetti draped over trees and said there was some sort of blight hitting the spaghetti trees and it could lead to a shortage of pasta.Smiley Very Happy

Something like that, anyway.

And another one that didn't fool the world but did fool our boss for a while. I worked at a school & the prin got an email saying that as part of the yearly review he would need to fill out a form. One of the questions was how many door stops were used throughout the buildings.

He wasn't at all happy to have to answer such trivia but set off for about half an hour, counting door stops everywhere, till he suddenly twigged. He told us about it at the staff meeting. It was some of his 'friends' in admin having some fun. Gave us a bit of a laugh.

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/47114840/4401386

A great friend and mentor Pat "the rat" Riggs April fools day jokes made headlines around the world , the CMF, the airforce and the Army were mobilized......after she reported in the local rag, The Maclaey Argus,on April 1 1969 at the height of the cold war that 10 russian merchant ships had taken shelter in Trial Bay and were requesting asylum.... The locals knew it was getting serious after F1-11;s started visually strafing the bay.... woops. The report was accompanied by a a doctored photo that included famous ships such as "The Bounty, The looflirpa (Aporil fool spelt backwards) and the Titanic supeimposed onto Trial bay

An extract below from Pats biography

https://trove.nla.gov.au/people/775075?c=people

"Having said that, Pat was also very loyal to those friends and family in her corner and she was generous to a fault to those in need. She had a wicked sense of humour, no better illustrated than by the April Fools Day joke she played (with the help of editorial staff and local radio station 2KM) on April 1, 1969.

At the height of Cold War tensions, Pat wrote a story about the arrival of the ten vessels from the Russian merchant fleet taking refuge at Trial Bay, on the coast near Kempsey.

Two hundred of the crew of the ship the Joker had jumped overboard, fearful that Australian authorities would shoot them as spies. Sailors from the pride of the fleet, the Looflirpa, planned to do the same.

The story was accompanied by a doctored photograph that featured pictures of Titanic, the Bounty and other highly recognisable vessels crammed into Trial Bay. Unfortunately for Pat, the trick worked a too well.

Concerned citizens from around the district rushed to the scene, with clothes, blankets and food, to provide comfort to the deserters, only to find themselves duped. Representatives of the Salvation Army were particularly peeved to have spent the cost of a taxi fare and demanded reimbursement from the paper.

Pat was forced to lay low for a while, but the story made news around the world and was reported in Poland and several South American countries."

I have a copy of the Newspaper ...somewhere and an article written about it in a 1970's Post magazine

Springyzone.. the top link in this post comes from an 1980's womens weekly magazine.. here are the spaghetti trees

"

But it is doubtful that any of these has
equalled the Great Spaghetti Hoax of
1967, based on the classic BBC April
Fool skit by Richard Dimbleby in 1957.
For this segment Channel 7 personal-
ity Danny Webb visited a "spaghetti
farm" in the foothills of the Grampians.
He interviewed colleague Damien Ryan,
who posed as a farmer in front of
passionfruit vines draped with cold
cooked spaghetti.
Ryan was supposedly representing
1500 Sicilian spaghetti farmers whose
crops had been destroyed by a plague of
spagworm or proglotides pasta.
Many viewers rang Channel 7, having
placed bets that spaghetti grew on trees."

and i raise you.. this 1983 grape story

Last year's prank claimed develop-
ment of a new breed of grape which
Fix this texttasted like and had the effect of riesling.
A Melbourne scientist was said to have
discovered a way of reducing the grape's
sugar to ensure a riesling grape was be-
ing grown and not a moselle grape.
Thousands of viewers took to the idea
of their favourite riesling fermented on
the vine, although a senior sergeant of
police warned that breath analyser
squads would have to be stationed out-
side fruit shops and that grape-munching
drivers would be treated as severely as
drinking drivers.

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

Another from the link

ABC then programme officer John Colwill recalls, "WA's ABC country were quite innovative when they suggested that a Professor Karl Akers who spoke authoritatively on experiments with sound frequencies to destroy weeds, particularly the irksome Double Gees.

"Given the right frequency, the molecular binding on the seed case loses cohesion and explodes," he explained.

Farmers were asked to standby until the killer frequency was played then rush out and point their transistors at the weeds...and that's just what the did, hundreds of them.

Whats more we advised farmers to put the frequency on all night, rig up loudspeakers on their tractors and rive through the paddocks playing what was in fact an ultra fast recording of the phrase  "this is an April fools joke."

One bloke drove 500 kms for more information.

It went on for weeks with some even reporting success with the method so that in the end a retraction needed to be printed

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

that balloon boy one was pretty bad.. I just can't imagine a parent using their child for a publicity stunt like that

the father was jalied, as he should be

not earth shattering but a funny one was the rumour of the Beatles Paul Mcartneys death... with so called "clues' being in their lyrics and on the cover of their Abbey Road album

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_is_dead

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

I remember reading about one April fools joke on the ABC where they announced that all clocks were going to be changed to 'metric' time  ....  Woman LOL

20 hours in a day ... how would I get anything done, can't do it all in 24!!

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

Woman LOL  that's a funny one Tas....

I already don't have enough time in the day to get everything done

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply