Is enough being done to promote good health & nutrition in Australia?

I think not. So what needs to be done?  I personally believe junk foood should not be sold in schools.

Message 1 of 97
Latest reply
96 REPLIES 96

Junk or unhealthy food should not be sold in schools but hasn't this already been tackled by the goverment.

https://healthy-kids.com.au/school-canteens/canteen-guidelines/

I did help out at a school canteen years ago and I can tell you that it was all healthy except for milk and juice drinks. Any food is healthy for a child that comes to school without lunch or even had breakfast so... 

Message 2 of 97
Latest reply

Chips and some soft drinks are still sold at school canteens I have heard.. So are those disgusting mince pies.

Message 3 of 97
Latest reply

Ban fat people from Smorgasboards.

Call child services on Parents with morbidly obese kids. 

Message 4 of 97
Latest reply

Health is not just about food, it's about exercise too. Laziness and a sedentary lifestyle may cause organ disease before junk food does. Just because someone is skinny does not mean they are healthy.

Message 5 of 97
Latest reply

@4channel wrote:

Chips and some soft drinks are still sold at school canteens I have heard.. So are those disgusting mince pies.

"I have heard"......so when were you last in a school canteen to see for yourself.

As far back as when my children were in primary school (they are now 47 and 51) the canteen was banning junk food....pies were only available one day a week as a treat and soft drinks were long gone.....it was all milk and fruit based drinks.

It was even stricter when my grandchildren were in school....they are now at University.

Schools can only do so much to educate children in nutrition.  If the parents don't carry on that education there is not much more that the schools can do.

We are now into the 3rd generation of students who are being taught to make healthy choices at school but how many have the same choices at home or do they just have to eat what their parents provide?

Message 6 of 97
Latest reply

Here see.

THAT WE SHOULD BAN JUNK FOOD IN SCHOOLS Resource Guide 1
Page SixIntroductionWith more than 30% of Victorian school students now classified as overweight orobese, the Victorian Government is taking direct action to help solve this criticalissue. Junk food is predominately blamed for causing obesity, resulting in a numberof short and long term health problems. There is currently no legislation aimed at therestriction of these foods in school canteens, although similar laws aimed at softdrinks, such as Coke, have recently been made.

https://dav.com.au/schools/documents/JSPGuide1.pdf

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

School tuck shop changes needed to keep kids healthy and help them learn, nutritionists warn

Grant McArthur, August 1, 2018 7:00PM Herald Sun

health
Reading level: orange

Junk food sold in school canteens is adding to poor mental* health, learning difficulties and even changing the way children’s brains develop, leading nutritionists* warn.

Nutrition Australia is pushing for healthier primary and secondary school tuck shops, warning they could be setting children up for years of poor health.

https://www.kidsnews.com.au/health/school-tuck-shop-changes-needed-to-keep-kids-healthy-and-help-the...

Message 7 of 97
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

@4channel wrote:

"I have heard"......so when were you last in a school canteen to see for yourself.

As far back as when my children were in primary school (they are now 47 and 51) the canteen was banning junk food....pies were only available one day a week as a treat and soft drinks were long gone.....it was all milk and fruit based drinks.

It was even stricter when my grandchildren were in school....they are now at University.

Schools can only do so much to educate children in nutrition.  If the parents don't carry on that education there is not much more that the schools can do.

We are now into the 3rd generation of students who are being taught to make healthy choices at school but how many have the same choices at home or do they just have to eat what their parents provide?

Primary school - junk food was not on the order menu - either commercial or byo 

High school - junk food was a small bottle of soft drink or a meat pie

College -  guilty ( including mandatory caked on salt ) but not ever over weight nor were my peers

As I recall there were very few obviously overweight fellow students, and of those they were kind of agile fatties  - why?  more modest meal servings , high kenetic lunch time sports , pre-flouride , who knows ? 

Message 8 of 97
Latest reply

Obviously Victoria is way behind NSW in regards to school canteens.

Maybe it needs to be a Federal Government initiative.

I do know that back when my children were at school it was up to the individual school to make their own policy in regards to the canteen....it was up to the parents to come up with a list of foods they deemed suitable for their children.

Message 9 of 97
Latest reply

I think that while junk and non nutritional food is a contributor, whether in shools or at home, the big issue is exercise for the kids.

How many are allowed to just sit at home on holidays and after school on the devices they have playing games etc.

Sport, and recreation, walkiing, going to the beach, take the dog for a walk, but no, you can't pry them off the games.

They are missing out on so much, and it's not laziness, it is a form of addiction and bloody dangerous IMO

Message 10 of 97
Latest reply