Is immigration good for us?

ca04
Community Member

Considering tony & julia are  English immigrants what do you think.?

Message 1 of 31
Latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

gkam2
Community Member

What part of ENGLAND did Julia come from?

Message 2 of 31
Latest reply

It would be good for us if some of our crock jocks and assorted bigots would emigrate.

Message 3 of 31
Latest reply

@ca04 wrote:

Even considering that 1 of the above is an English immigrant, despite this 1, the answer is yes.

Message 4 of 31
Latest reply

Wasn't it the Welsh part, gkam2. 😄
Message 5 of 31
Latest reply

Immigration does all sorts of things. it adds diversity to the culture and even acts as a change agent on it.

One thing which I think that immigration does is to place a downwards pressure on wages.

Message 6 of 31
Latest reply

@acacia_pycnantha wrote:

Immigration does all sorts of things. it adds diversity to the culture and even acts as a change agent on it.

One thing which I think that immigration does is to place a downwards pressure on wages.

unemployment does that, conservative governments and big business (the wages thing). Immigrants don't create unemployment no matter what the crock jocks and assorted right wing spokespeople may say.

Message 7 of 31
Latest reply

@ca04 wrote:

my parents are immigrants, do you think australias infrastructure today can still sustain more?

Signatures suck.
Message 8 of 31
Latest reply

@boris1gary wrote:

@acacia_pycnantha wrote:

unemployment does that, conservative governments and big business (the wages thing). Immigrants don't create unemployment no matter what the crock jocks and assorted right wing spokespeople may say.

the concept wasn't UNEMPLOYMENT, it was pressure on lower wages.

Some countries have lower wages and less benefits than we get and the people who immigrate from those countries are prepared to work at those levels and standards (generally speaking) as they are conditioned to that

This then creates less resistance if these sorts of concepts are brought here

People who immigrate generally do so for a better life, and will do whatever iot takes to get the advantagem, the leg up over another, so if that means working an hour for free to get an opportunity, they will do it (for example) because it was probably still better conditions than what they left.

This then puts pressure on the next bloke to do the same.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 9 of 31
Latest reply

I think that immigration does another thing, boris.

it suppresses development of our own training and education facilities.

Want more doctors? save on expensive universities and just import a few hundred.

Want architects, engineers, bodies able and willing to do the jobs that most Australians would want a higher wage to do? . . . look overseas; it's the cheap option.

Message 10 of 31
Latest reply