Lets talk about housing and homelessness.

There were 105,237 homeless in 2011 in Australia.

I believe the number has risen enormously since then. This is a disgrace to our country, and the politicians don't want to know about it.

With house sales and rentals at staggering unafordable prices the problem of homeless people will continue to grow..

Something will have to be done to change this. Federal and State Governments give permits for billionaire investments, but don't care that the average working person will never be able to own their own home. Low rental housing for low income families are being pulled down to make room for high rise, multymillion apartmrnts to be built.

I fear and feel for the younger generation, for the future of our grandchildren and their children. How can a young couple on average wages save AU$200,000.- for a deposit towards a housing loan when their rent is AU$450.- per week or more? Not everyone has well off parents to help or parents with whom they can live while saving.

What is the answer?

Erica

Message 1 of 75
Latest reply
74 REPLIES 74

@lind9650 wrote:

There were 105,237 homeless in 2011 in Australia.

I believe the number has risen enormously since then. This is a disgrace to our country, and the politicians don't want to know about it.

What is the answer?

Erica

Gee Erica that's a tough question. Maybe this:

What the service offers

The Refugee and Transitional Housing Services Program provides accommodation to refugees who have recently arrived in Australia. The program is the sole service provider of accommodation to new arrivals under the Federal Government’s Humanitarian Settlement Service (HSS). We are a joint service provider of accommodation to new arrivals under the Federal Government’s Community Assistance Support (CAS) program.

https://anglicaresa.com.au/support-disability/new-arrivals/refugee-transition-housing/

Maybe Australians could declare themselves as refugees. Just a thought.

Message 2 of 75
Latest reply

two totally different questions i believe.

house prices are market driven

homelessness is a choice (99%) of the time

as to the next gen affording houses is simple. save save save. they need to learn that you have to start at the bottom and work up and not expect to have the best of everything straight away. GEN NOW

Message 3 of 75
Latest reply

ever since i saw those tewwible pictures of the houses falling into the sea in the new south wales storm i've been so wowwied about those poor peeeples, to be made homeless like that its so heartbreaking.

who'd of thawt living so close tew da sea would be so bad?

lets all take a moment........ok dats long enuff, you cans laugh now....teeheee

Message 4 of 75
Latest reply

affording houses is simple. save save save. they need to learn that you have to start at the bottom and work up and not expect to have the best of everything straight away. GEN NOW

That's not exactly an answer to Erica's question How can a young couple on average wages save AU$200,000.- for a deposit towards a housing loan when their rent is AU$450.- per week or more? Not everyone has well off parents to help or parents with whom they can live while saving.

She didn't ask what should they do -  saying save, save, save is merely stating the bleeding obvious  - she asked, how can they manage to do it?

Message 5 of 75
Latest reply

There are many smaller country towns/cities where house prices are  very affordable, the down side is lack of employment.   Things take time but if more people would consider moving to some of these towns, then more employment would be created and they would pay far less for their house than they do in the larger cities. 

Message 6 of 75
Latest reply

@bsal6160 wrote:

two totally different questions i believe.

house prices are market driven

homelessness is a choice (99%) of the time

as to the next gen affording houses is simple. save save save. they need to learn that you have to start at the bottom and work up and not expect to have the best of everything straight away. GEN NOW

And from where do you get that figure?  Agreed that some do choose to be homeless, but many I would say most don't.   Having worked in welfare I'm thinking of all the mentally handicapped who were thrust out on the streets a few years ago in their hundreds, many of whom who did not survive.  Heartbreakingly distrubed people who were almost child-like in their illness and subject to all kinds of abuse. .  Also those who are well and truly stuck in addiction,  and who are beyond helping themselves.  This is not an argument for or against addiction but facts are facts and those who are truly stuck in it have no choice whatsoever about homelessness. 

I wish I had answers, but I don't. 

Message 7 of 75
Latest reply

@davidc4430 wrote:

ever since i saw those tewwible pictures of the houses falling into the sea in the new south wales storm i've been so wowwied about those poor peeeples, to be made homeless like that its so heartbreaking.

who'd of thawt living so close tew da sea would be so bad?

lets all take a moment........ok dats long enuff, you cans laugh now....teeheee

Do you really think the subject is just a joke?

Message 8 of 75
Latest reply

@bushies.girl wrote:

There are many smaller country towns/cities where house prices are  very affordable, the down side is lack of employment.   Things take time but if more people would consider moving to some of these towns, then more employment would be created and they would pay far less for their house than they do in the larger cities. 

I hate to admit it, ...   Smiley Surprised     Smiley Embarassed:.....but have to agree with bushiesgirl on this one. I live in a large regional town, just over an hours drive from the city. ( poorer state ) Perfectly livable houses are still for sale under $200,000. They are small, old and clapped, but still a good start for a youngster. We are already planning on how to get our 17 year old son into one of these houses. There is some employment options, but they are often fairly low paid jobs. Still if you havnt got the huge mortgage it may actually be easier to live in a place like this and the coastal lifestyle is great. 

On the broader front I think there needs to be a change in attitudes into housing size and construction techniques. Australias houses are on average some of the largest per person in the world. The giant McMansions with the straight flat sides and the tiled roof without eves and cold tiled floors are not only highly energy inefficient, they are also ugly and wasteful. If people where allowed to build in alternative materials such as straw bale, use second hand materials etc. prices of construction could reduce dramatically. A used piece of 100 year old jarrah is going to be stronger, look better and last longer than plantation pine. An old heavy wooden door or used aluminium window can be purchased cheaply and will do the job just as well as one from a discount hardware store. Yet these items are highly discouraged by councils and society. Everything has to be new and plasticy and shiny.

These changes also require a change in societies attitudes about where we live. We need to decentralise. We have millions of people living like crowded sheep, in urban wastelands in our largest cities. Quality of life, social incusion, visual amenity and access to services is all reasonably poor in these places. If people where willing to live in a less populated place ( basically spread out a bit ) house and land prices would be more affordable and individuals quality of life would improve. With the internet, many people can earn a living anywhere as they are no longer tied to a building. ( think ebay sellers and online retail, architects, some health proffesionals, service managers, transport, storage and logistics etc.  ).

All of this requires major changes in societies attitudes. While not trying to denigrate an obvious problem, the biggest restraint on affordable housing is what goes on in peoples heads.

Message 9 of 75
Latest reply

Sorry I was not hre last night to join the conversation.

I am astounded about some flippant coments. If you read the OP correctly, you will realise that I am comparing todys housing dillema with the future to come. As housing becomes more and more unafordable, there will be more homeless people (even families) in future.

Eg. One young cupple lived in a Melbourne suburb, paying $445.- per week rent. They have two small children and managed financially OK. Then husbnds company closed down and he is without a job. They did not want to depend on Centrelink support, so changed roles. He became a househusband as the wife found a job in Child care. She is qualified, but only at grade 3. Income is much less than what the husband used to earn, so they changed their lifestyle. They found a house in a small country town for less rent, but the woman has to drive one hour to work and one hour back again. With bad traffic she has to count 90 minutes at least to get to work. Her income is around $800.- per week, out of that $325.- rent, car maintenance, insuranc, petrol etc. and they do need to eat.

Small country town, no chance for the husband to find a job. Most good jobs are around big cities, but the rent is far to steep for young people starting jobs on low wages.

Can anyone tell me how on earth that young couple can save a deposit towards a housing loan???

And that is what I mean. If the ownwer of that house decides to sell and the new owners want to live there, where is the young family going to live?

Catch 22

Erica

Message 10 of 75
Latest reply