Level 713 Rescue pet =D

=D

what level is everyone else up to?

Message 1 of 70
Latest reply
69 REPLIES 69

Re: I got past level 735 now.. rescue pet.. yeh!

I was not being discourteous to another forum member, I was being discourteous to a not for profit organisation who makes large profits and has lost their vision.

Message 61 of 70
Latest reply

I did not take your comment as discourteous one bit Tippy, i was quite shocked by rspca, did a little reading and found that rspca approved eggs are apparently barn caged hen eggs, i got to read it better because i was doing things while reading it (ie: i was not driving at the time, thats naughty!!)

*we may be human, but we are still animals*
Message 62 of 70
Latest reply

In many cases, especially in country towns, a lot depends on the RSPCA officer in charge.

My daughter was in a large country town/small city.   She was a Council Ranger with full authority over the council animal pound.  Her second job was RSPCA rep....with the full approval of the Council.

Her background was Vet Nurse with microchipping certificate, Licenced Security Guard with Firearms Licence, had run her own Security firm with on site dogs and had years of experience with horses.   One of her jobs before leaving Sydney had been to man the RSPCA Ambulance at night.

Despite all these qualifications she was not deemed experienced enough to put an animal down if it was badly injured.  She was expected to call in the police to put it down.   The stupid part was that most of the police would not have a clue about animals and were loath to pull the trigger....many times she had to do it while the big bold cops turned their back.

One time there was a rabid dog in the school playground....she had encountered it before but it always got away.  It was cornered but she still had to call the cops and wait over half an hour for them to arrive....and then shoot it herself as the young cop was too scared....he had never fired his gun at a live animal/person.

She used to go frantic at times knowing that animals were suffering while she was f**ting around waiting for the police especially when there were bushfires in the area.  She was the sort of person who was as much a pushover for a fluffy little lost dog as she could shoot an injured pig dog that no-one could get near.

The one thing that really turned her stomach was having to euthanase perfectly healthy dogs who had come into the pound and were not claimed.

That was one reason she became the RSPCA rep....she had a bit of leeway to send the dogs to no-kill pounds (including a few in Sydney where she had worked).

Message 63 of 70
Latest reply

People buy barn laid eggs because they think the hens are treated better than the cage eggs. They're not. In a lot of cases they're worse off than the cage hens. They are packed so tightly in the barns they often have less room to move than in the cages. The conditions are atrocious. No ventilation. The dust is suffocating. They kill each other and attack each other. It's really bad. That's not PETA propaganda either (they are terrorists and should be jailed).

The RSPCA endorse a lot of industries that commit animal cruelty. Their endorsements are like the Heart Foundations tick. Pay them enough and they'll endorse (or tick) anything.

Message 64 of 70
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

One time there was a rabid dog in the school playground....she had encountered it before but it always got away.  It was cornered but she still had to call the cops and wait over half an hour for them to arrive....and then shoot it herself as the young cop was too scared....he had never fired his gun at a live animal/person.

In Australia?

Message 65 of 70
Latest reply

@ambercat16 wrote:

@lyndal1838 wrote:

In Australia?

Yes, in a NSW country town/small city.

Message 66 of 70
Latest reply

Wow, I didn't know there had ever been a case of rabies in Australia.  That's scary!

Message 67 of 70
Latest reply

Not in humans as far as I know but this was a dog that was running wild....and there was also a colony of bats in the area.

It is a long time ago now....10+ years ago and I have forgotten the whole story but there was a Vet alert out on the dog and the Council Rangers were told under no circumstances to try and catch the dog.....it was to be shot on sight.  There were also some pretty strict intructions for preventing any spread of disease.   The whole episode caused quite a stir at the time.

Message 68 of 70
Latest reply

@go-tazz wrote:

@mbselections00 wrote:
It was a fox, had it been a domestic dog, they'd have been out like a shot, but 'feral' wildlife, no-one would come.  They told us to put it in the car and drive to a 24hour place over 50 minutes away, yep that's right, put a wild fox in our car.  The police would not even come and put it out of it's misery.

I have always lived in country towns,carry an iron bar in the boot of my car and I've had to use it a few times

to dispose of injured animals as well as using other methods.

Each animal was beyond help IMO and it was more humane to end their lives,(each animal had been hit by a

car or truck).

I wouldn't hesitate if it was a fox,rabbit,wild cat or wild dog as they are all pests that should be eliminated.

When you see the destruction they cause you don't see them as animals.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

I do understand for country folk some wild animals are pests and in such cases I don't have a problem with them being eliminated 'quickly' and humanely.  Trouble is, I'm a born and bred city girl and cannot bring myself to kill even an injured animal.  So after my daughter arrived home from work at around 2 or 3am after hitting the fox and after phone calls to emergency after hours numbers and the police with no resulting help, we went to sit with the animal until it died, it was horrendous, it had dragged itself off to the side of the road.

We live on 2 1/2 acres in an rural residential estate and there's lots of beautiful wildlife.  I did not agree with doing so as there are many young children around, but there were two locals who used to feed the fox.  Anyway, it took council 3 days to come and remove the rotting carcass.

I so agree with your comment : It would have been far more humane to end it's life (quickly), but we couldn't

Message 69 of 70
Latest reply

When I was 18 my brother shot a Fox on a farming property and he captured one of the Kits and put it in a bag.

He was going to tame it but when he let it out of the bag in the bathroom it went feral and bit him,( so knew

that he couldn't tame it).

So he put it down and went to the doctors where he was given numerous injection including a Rabies shot,(

as Foxes can get Rabies and they eat carrion so a bite is highly infectious).

You did the best you could and for them to even suggest putting a wild Fox in your car is ludicrous as it

could've put you all in danger if it had been able to move.

Message 70 of 70
Latest reply