March in March

Who is marching in March? I will be.

"March in March Australia 2014 will be three days of peaceful assemblies, non-partisan citizens' marches and rallies at Federal Parliament and around Australia to protest against government decisions that are against the common good of our nation"

There's just so much to protest about, but I think the thing that riles me the most is our governments dehumanising cruelty to refugees.

Or maybe the 800 million payment to Murdoch

Or the nepotism.

Or plain incompetency.

Anyway, I need ideas for my placard. Can anyone help?

I'll have to travel hundreds of kilometres to get to my nearest march, so I want to make it worthwhile.
Message 1 of 131
Latest reply
130 REPLIES 130

Re: March in March

These photos made proud to call myself an Australian Woman Happy a happy tear or two was shed

PHOTOS: Wollongong's March in March protest

A non-partisan nationwide protest against the Abbott Government’s policies attracted 1500 people to a rally at North Wollongong on Sunday.

For some it was their first march since the 70s, but for many it was the only time they had ever publicly voiced their concerns.

Carrying placards that read ‘Hands off our Medicare’ and chanting ‘Stand up and fight back’ the crowd expressed a range of emotions from anger, frustration and embarrassment particularly over the treatment of asylum seekers.

‘‘The last time I marched was for equal pay (for women) and that was a long time ago,’’ Gerringong’s Bea Hodgson said.

The 74-year-old said she was ashamed at the way asylum seekers were treated, but was also angry with the government’s stance over climate change and inaction over educational reforms.

‘‘I have nine grandchildren and I want them to have a good education and to live in a country that looks after those less fortunate,’’ Ms Hodgson said.

While union representatives and environmentalists were present at the rally, organisers of March in March ensured that the event was not taken over by any political party. The movement, which began in January via social media, now has 45,000 members.

Wollongong organiser Nathaniel Harris said the rally was a group of ordinary Australians participating in democracy.

‘‘We’re trying to get politicians to do a better job,’’ Mr Harris said.

Jan Walsh, 68 drove up from Berry with four friends.

‘‘I think this Government has no conscious and I’m particularly concerned about the attack on Tasmanian forests,’’ she said.

It was the first ever march for 62 year old Berry social worker Nessie Barrett.

‘‘The way we treat asylum seekers has incensed me to the point where I think I can no longer not do something about it,’’ she said.

Former high school teacher Alice Weber, who hasn’t marched for 40 years, said she was outraged over a range of policies.

‘‘I’m just so disappointed with what’s going on in our country,’’ she said. ‘‘ The cutbacks in early childhood learning for Aboriginal children for example shows we’re picking on people who can’t help themselves.’’

A statement of no confidence in the Abbott Government will be delivered to Parliament House on Monday.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/2153372/photos-wollongongs-march-in-march-protest/?cs=

Message 131 of 131
Latest reply