Missing man Matthew Leveson

Matthews Mum Faye posted on CW back when Matthew first went missing.

I see where his boyfriend at the time has now led police to a possible grave

site in Bushland in Sydney. His poor parents have looked in the area believing

that's where he was buried.

Now I read the boyfriend has been granted immunity from prosecution - how can

this be when they have so much evidence against him?  Is it because he was found not guilty

of murder or manslaughter following a trial in 2009? Like a double jeopardy thing??

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

imastawka
Honored Contributor

He can't be charged with the murder becuase he was acquitted - double jeoardy

But he could've been charged with other offences relating to that murder.

But they've given him immunity now, so they can close the case, I'm guessing

Deputy state coroner Elaine Truscott compelled Mr Atkins to give evidence and granted him immunity from prosecution, which means any evidence he gives cannot be used against him in a criminal trial.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-11-10/former-partner-of-matthew-leveson-helping-in-search-for-body/8...

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

mloreason
Community Member
This board used to be very relevant. That two mothers came here to raise awareness about their missing children is testament to that. These days Mr or Mrs average looking to raise awareness would be hard put even finding this board. And even if they did stumble across it and ask for the public's help they would only reach a small number of people.

This board has for the most part become irrelevant. It is the over zealous reporters who are responsible for that. Some people are just icy cold I reckon. 😎

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

A lot of CW and CS critics were so engrossed in their own personal agendas that they didn't care about the support some people were receiving, or even notice when somebody visited the board to seek help. They were too intent on hunting down their prey. The board served a social purpose because most of the people who posted here were genuine, caring people. That's probably what I remember the most.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

imastawka
Honored Contributor

He can't be charged with the murder becuase he was acquitted - double jeoardy

But he could've been charged with other offences relating to that murder.

But they've given him immunity now, so they can close the case, I'm guessing

Deputy state coroner Elaine Truscott compelled Mr Atkins to give evidence and granted him immunity from prosecution, which means any evidence he gives cannot be used against him in a criminal trial.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-11-10/former-partner-of-matthew-leveson-helping-in-search-for-body/8...

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Thanks stawks - I gathered it was along those lines - so unfair and

very sad for the family if this barstool has gotten away with murder.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Yeah Freddie.   Such a waste.    Poor kid was only 20

Can't imagine how bad that is for the family

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

mloreason
Community Member
I remember his mum coming here I think. There was a photo of him posted on the thread when he first went missing wasn't there?

Yeah they wouldn't be able to charge him now. As imastawka said they will just want the details of how it all went down.
Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Yes MLOR that's the one she was asking everyone to report any sightings of him.

Very sad i'm hoping they do find his remains so  they finally know what

happened to him and they can put him to rest.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

mloreason
Community Member
This board used to be very relevant. That two mothers came here to raise awareness about their missing children is testament to that. These days Mr or Mrs average looking to raise awareness would be hard put even finding this board. And even if they did stumble across it and ask for the public's help they would only reach a small number of people.

This board has for the most part become irrelevant. It is the over zealous reporters who are responsible for that. Some people are just icy cold I reckon. 😎
Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

A lot of CW and CS critics were so engrossed in their own personal agendas that they didn't care about the support some people were receiving, or even notice when somebody visited the board to seek help. They were too intent on hunting down their prey. The board served a social purpose because most of the people who posted here were genuine, caring people. That's probably what I remember the most.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

hi freddie Heart

I remember this case well- hadnt realised it was almost 10 years ago..I feel for his family..

Just wondering, maybe someone else was also involved? If Matthews body is found, there might be evidence/ DNA that connects others to the crime?

Maybe his family wants to lay him to rest and remember their son and brother for his life- not his death, in the hope for revenge.

The old saying the law is an a.s.s. comes to mind.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply