Opinions ?

Ok so thought I'd ask complete strangers what they think.  As many of you know I spend a great deal of time caring both for my own girls and in a voluntary capacity with children at risk.  I have just finished a dip in counselling and also have an associate diploma. I am thinking of doing a social welfare degree but am limited because I can't get out of the house easily for extended times. So I am again thinking of doing one by distance.  So here's the thing, those closest to me think that while I have the capacity to achieve this my girls should be my focus and since there is a good chance I may not work full time that I should just concentrate on them.

I disagree, why should I be limited why can't I focus on them as well as achieving other things that put me in good stead for employment later down the track?  Some argue that I have enough qualifications as it is to obtain employment again, so why push it. But I like to think outside the boundaries others set for me!! 

I don't know maybe I should take a year off and think about it?  Decisions, decisions....

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Opinions ?

You're on to a good thing there belle and, let's face it, all women have had to learn to multi-task if they are mothers...

Go for it, it's what you'd like to do and why should you not follow through?  

Count 2013 as your 'year off' and begin in 2014, no time like next year Smiley Happy

Message 21 of 22
Latest reply

Re: Opinions ?

Thanks all.  Darkside I just finished a dip in counselling so am waiting for my transcript to apply for RPL.  I'm fairly confident now of what I would like to do in terms of a degree. If I don't get in to the first stream of study there is an intake mid year.  I have a couple of majors in counselling that I can finish in the mean time but at least I will be doing what I want to do instead of what everyone else thinks I should do 😉  I am confident I can still maintain the quality of care my girls need whilst developing myself and creating better opportunities for the future.

I really enjoy learning but the greater joy is putting into practice the skills that I learn to help others 🙂

Message 22 of 22
Latest reply