Palestine loses claim to the holy land

Hiker finds rare gold coin in Israel

Jerusalem (CNN)The shiny object was just sitting there in the grass, waiting to be found. It was a 2,000-year-old gold coin with the face of a Roman emperor, so rare that only one other such coin is known to exist.

Laurie Rimon discovered the gold coin while hiking in eastern Galilee recently, not far from the biblical site where it's written that Jesus walked on water and performed the miracle of the multiplication of the fish and bread. Rimon, from a kibbutz in northern Israel, turned it over to the Israel Antiquities Authority. It was her own little miracle.

"It was not easy parting with the coin," she said. "After all, it is not every day one discovers such an amazing object, but I hope I will see it displayed in a museum in the near future."

"This coin is rare on a global level," said Dr. Danny Syon, a coin expert with the Israel Antiquities Authority.

The coin shows the face of Emperor Augustus, Caesar's heir and the founder of the Roman Empire. Augustus ruled from 27 BC to AD 14, during the time of Jesus. In AD 107, Emperor Trajan minted a series of coins to honor the Roman emperors who came before him, according to Donald Ariel, head curator of the coin department at the Israel Antiquities Authority. This gold coin was created as a tribute to the reign of Augustus. It refers to him as "Divus Augustus," or Augustus the Divine, who Ariel says was considered a deity after his death.

The hiker's discovery has created a mystery: What was such a valuable coin doing around the Sea of Galilee?

"It's the only coin we know for the site in which it was found in Eastern Galilee. Eastern Galilee is a place where we don't know very much about this time period," Ariel said.

[...]

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/03/14/middleeast/israel-gold-coin-found/index.html

For years we have been told that the Palestinians had a link to that area of the world. Along comes a coin which casts doubt on the Palestinians claims. If their claims were true the coin should have been stamped with 'issued by the Palestine mint'. Those words did not appear on the coin.

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

For years we have been told that the Palestinians had a link to that area of the world. Along comes a coin which casts doubt on the Palestinians claims. If their claims were true the coin should have been stamped with 'issued by the Palestine mint'. Those words did not appear on the coin.

Is this part of the original article or your own words of wisdom, based on your knowledge of the coinage in circulation in that area during the reign of Augustus??

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

I know you mean well, but I don't think that finding that coin will ever mean that Palestine will lose claim to the holy land.   Rare and precious things are found often in situ or thousands of miles from where they first started out, lost or left by travellers or abandoned by the original owners.

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

The world is flat too, 

Photobucket
Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

@donnashuggy wrote:

The world is flat too, 

Not in Tasmania - everything is either at the bottom of a hill,

cut into the side of a hill, or had the hill flattened at the top

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

Gee wait till they find that Kiwi key ring I lost over there.

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

@the_great_she_elephant wrote:

Is this part of the original article or your own words of wisdom, based on your knowledge of the coinage in circulation in that area during the reign of Augustus??

Are you suggesting that Augustus was ruler of Rome and Palestine. I'm sure the Palestinians, based on your inference, will now lay claim to Italy. Mahmoud Abbas please phone your office.

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

Don't believe everything you read VP

Photobucket
Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

Just sounds like an excuse to keep the Palestinians oppressed and occupied. Any excuse will do...
Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

@tasfleur wrote:

I know you mean well, but I don't think that finding that coin will ever mean that Palestine will lose claim to the holy land.   Rare and precious things are found often in situ or thousands of miles from where they first started out, lost or left by travellers or abandoned by the original owners.

and unlikely "just sit there in the grass waiting to be found", 2000 years old objects are generally underground.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 10 of 12
Latest reply