Plibersek A nasty mix of petulance and vitriol

ladydeburg
Community Member

Petulant Plibersek can’t hold a candle to sensible, can-do Bishop

BOTH are smart, sassy, articulate, attractive women. Both arrived in federal politics in 1998, taking up ministerial positions in social policy areas. One as minister for housing, human services, social inclusion and the status of women. The other as minister for ageing, education and women’s issues. One Liberal, one Labor, both now hold senior portfolios in what is still a bloke’s game.

Sadly, the similarities end there. One is an adult in an adult’s world. The other tends to default, in tone and tactics, to the street combat of student politics. While Foreign Minister Julie Bishop goes from strength to strength, Labor foreign affairs spokeswoman Tanya Plibersek does the opposite.

Since becoming Foreign Minister, Bishop has proved her political mettle. Not one for grandstanding, she gets things done quietly and firmly. Early on, Labor bequeathed her a foreign policy disaster when allegations became public that intelligence agencies under the Rudd government spied on Indonesia. Bishop immediately understood her job.

Refusing to cast aspersions on the Rudd government, she set about mending relations, meeting and talking quietly, far from the media, with Indonesian counterparts.

Meanwhile Plibersek seized the media megaphone, claiming a fractured relationship between the two countries, demanding it be fixed as a priority, naively suggesting the linchpin to mending our ­relationship was a joint understanding about spying. None of this was correct.

She was at it again last week, undermining our relationship even before the inauguration of the new Indonesian President. Plibersek defaults to hand-to-hand political combat, a skill well-suited to wranglesome domestic portfolios but not foreign affairs, which requires political maturity and professional nous, best signalled by knowing when to pull your punches.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/opinion/petulant-plibersek-cant-hold-a-candle-to-sensible-cando-bish...

Message 1 of 32
Latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

sorry, but I quite like her Tanya Pilberserk.

didn't Bishop almost cause an international incifdent by upsetting the Indonesians early on.

I'm not really interested in reading articles from the Australian newspaper anyway,

so will leave you to it  Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 32
Latest reply

Okay whatever you think is your business. I like her. And that is my business.

On that note I will leave you to it.

Message 3 of 32
Latest reply

Disgracefully biased article above.

Controversial appointment: Columnist Janet Albrechtsen

The Abbott government has appointed conservative commentator Janet Albrechtsen and former deputy Liberal Party leader Neil Brown to the panel overseeing appointments to the boards of the ABC and SBS.

Labor introduced a merit-based appointment process in 2011, which was aimed at depoliticising the ABC and SBS boards

Dr Albrechtsen, a columnist for The Australian and former lawyer, has previously derided the ABC as a "Soviet-style workers collective".

She was appointed to the ABC board by the Howard government and she served on it from 2005 to 2010.

In an article for The Spectator earlier this year, Mr Brown called for a full privatisation of the ABC on the grounds it is biased to the left.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/janet-albrechtsen-appointed-to-abc-and-sbs-boa...

Message 4 of 32
Latest reply

Didn't we just have a Plibersek thread?

Joono
Message 5 of 32
Latest reply

That's odd.  We even had one with the same thread title last year.

http://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Community-Spirit/A-NASTY-MIX-OF-INCOMPETENCE-AND-VITRIOL-IS-TANYA/m-...

Joono
Message 6 of 32
Latest reply

Lol recycling and reusing.

Sorry but too funny.
Message 7 of 32
Latest reply

Woman LOL

One year since the OP last posted and straight into the Plibersek myth.

Message 8 of 32
Latest reply

Thanks for the laugh J so funny Woman LOL

When I grow up I want to be just like Tanya.

Message 9 of 32
Latest reply

I think you'll find Tanya, the perpetual undergraduate, is very fond of using what her husband used to sell and use himself.

Message 10 of 32
Latest reply