Police, earning RESPECT!

Coronavirus Care Army raises alarm after 80yo woman falls and breaks hip, trapped in house for days

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-07/coronavirus-queensland-care-army-rescue-elderly-woman-beaudes...

isnt this how police should be shown in news stories

and not the stories of thuggery and lawlessness we often see.

Message 1 of 83
Latest reply
82 REPLIES 82

Police, earning RESPECT!

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Here in NSW anyone can ask the police to do a welfare check on an elderly person at any time.   It is not a new thing connected to coronavirus.

The lady in the article should be thanking the Care Army for contacting the police.

Message 2 of 83
Latest reply

Police, earning RESPECT!

@davidc4430 wrote:

Coronavirus Care Army raises alarm after 80yo woman falls and breaks hip, trapped in house for days

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-07/coronavirus-queensland-care-army-rescue-elderly-woman-beaudes...

isnt this how police should be shown in news stories

and not the stories of thuggery and lawlessness we often see.

Its not a question of how police should be shown in news stories ( appearances ) its how they should be handling themselves and their interactions with the public all the time. Most people only see the police at a roadside breatho or when they attend their local police station to report some minor incident. 

In these interactions the police present as caring, friendly people. And to be fair, the majority of police are genuinely like that. Its only when you start seeing them in action with the less fortunate people in society that for some police,  their true colours shine through.

There is a large minority of police that have very nasty, vindictive tendencies that are on full display when dealing with those who can least defend themselves. The homeless, vulnerable indiginous Australians,  those with addiction issues and mental health problems. These people are completely defencless against police brutality with both the force and wider legal / court systems closing ranks against compaints and retalitory action taken against victims of police brutality if they speak out. Ive personally witnessed several such acts, so it stands to reason that if Ive seen it on several occasions, there must be numerous cases of police brutality happening every day, all around the country. Its just that most never make the media.

I believe there is either a problem with police recruitment, allowing the wrong types of people with personality disorders to join the force, or its a deliberate decision. If deliberate I suspect its to have people in the force who can bully and intimidate people in order to get the job done. Unfortunately you cant " train " the nastiness and vindictiveness out of some people and it raises the question  " do we actually need these nasty types in the force or can the job be done by well trained officers with more balanced personalities ? 

Message 3 of 83
Latest reply

Police, earning RESPECT!

, there must be numerous cases of police brutality happening every day, all around the country. Its just that most never make the media.

And there must be numerous cases of police kindness and leniency happening every day, all around the country, it's just that most never make the media.

Message 4 of 83
Latest reply

Police, earning RESPECT!

@bright.ton42 wrote:

, there must be numerous cases of police brutality happening every day, all around the country. Its just that most never make the media.

And there must be numerous cases of police kindness and leniency happening every day, all around the country, it's just that most never make the media.

I couldn't agree more..... My post acknowledged that the majority of police do an excellent job in difficult circumstances. Many show a great deal of compassion and understanding. The minority of police ( but a large minority ) who are corrupt, nasty, vindictive individuals not only harm vulnerable members of the public, they also do a lot of damage to the image of the good guys in the force who try to do the right thing. All the more reason to identify the bad apples and remove them from the force.

My only concern is that those in high places may have identified that they need a percentage of the nasty type, not only as good revenue raisers ( book anyone for any little thing ) or for the simple reason that it takes a particularly nasty type of cop to deal with some of the particularly nasty individuals . The reason I speculate about this is the nasty guys usually seem to be teemed up with a more moderate, pleasant type of cop..

And no I haven't been booked for anything serious at all ( ever )  and even have my full quota of points on my licence at the moment,  but I do have a lot to do with police while advocating for others who are more vulnerable. Through this I get to see the other side of policing that is hidden from most people.

Message 5 of 83
Latest reply

Police, earning RESPECT!

All very well and good.

But with all due respect...

...do we really need our Police Force to be rescuing old ladies fallen on the floor, kittens out of trees, or dogs stuck in rainwater drains? Booking cyclists for not observing social distancing?

Or do we want them to be out battling crime? Like drugs, home invasion, domestic violence?

Ok we can lament police brutality, but really, sometimes it takes violence to counteract violence.

There's a reason we call them the Police Force.

Message 6 of 83
Latest reply

Police, earning RESPECT!

@icyfroth wrote:

...do we really need our Police Force to be rescuing old ladies fallen on the floor . . .

in that lady's case I say yes

Message 7 of 83
Latest reply

Police, earning RESPECT!

@icyfroth wrote:

All very well and good.

...do we really need our Police Force to be rescuing old ladies fallen on the floor, kittens out of trees, or dogs stuck in rainwater drains? Booking cyclists for not observing social distancing?

Or do we want them to be out battling crime? Like drugs, home invasion, domestic violence?

Ok we can lament police brutality, but really, sometimes it takes violence to counteract violence.

hey Icebuddy they can and do both.Smiley Happy

but on the bad side another 2 police have been charged over the Dean Laidley photo incidentSmiley Mad

Message 8 of 83
Latest reply

Police, earning RESPECT!

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

@icyfroth wrote:

...do we really need our Police Force to be rescuing old ladies fallen on the floor . . .

in that lady's case I say yes

but wouldn't that be a community issue?

Message 9 of 83
Latest reply

Police, earning RESPECT!

@nicnacs_4u wrote:

@icyfroth wrote:

All very well and good.

hey Icebuddy they can and do both.Smiley Happy

but on the bad side another 2 police have been charged over the Dean Laidley photo incidentSmiley Mad

We need to back our Police Force. 

If we de-fang them as we are currently doing, who will we turn to when we need our laws to be enforced?

The Pu$$y Sqadron?

Message 10 of 83
Latest reply