Ray Martin Goes In To Bat For KAK

Veteran broadcaster Ray Martin has warned that the debate over Australia’s indigenous community has become so mired in hate- speech baiting and “poor bugger me” posturing it is getting in the way of the far more urgent challenge of stopping the carnage in Aboriginal communities.

Martin’s comments follow an ugly on-air spat on Monday’s episode of Network 10’s Studio 10 program between fellow panellists Yumi Stynes and TV veteran Kerri-Anne Kennerley.

Stynes said Kennerley was “sounding like a racist” after she asked why ­Australia Day protesters weren’t doing more for remote indigenous communities where “babies and five-year-olds are being raped … their mothers are being raped”.

That prompted a massive backlash against Kennerley, including calls from protesters for the Logies Hall of Fme inductee to be sacked. Alice Springs councillor and indigenous leader, Jacinta Price, who publicly defended Kennerley in The Australian on Tuesday was so overwhelmed by social media trolls and abusive posts yesterday that Facebook blocked her account.

She said Stynes had used the oldest and most cowardly trick in the book. Shutting down debate by crying racism.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/indigenous/ugly-race-debate-gets-in-way-of-helping...

Remember Yumi Stynes? 

The one that, in 2012 ridiculed war veteran Ben Roberts-Smith, saying he should dive to the bottom of the pool to find his brain. Also that he must be a "dud root" because he's so handsome.

Yeah, she's still around getting various gigs on radio and television.

She needs to be shut down!

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Ray Martin Goes In To Bat For KAK

@the_great_she_elephant wrote:

But KAK wasn't simply 'changing' the topic - she was using an unrelated topic in an attempt  to criticise those suporting the original one.

The sutability of January 26th as our National Day and the incidence of rape and domestic violence in Aboriginal communities are two separate issues - only related insofar as  one is the indirect  result of the event celebrated in the other.

But that still didnt make her comments rascist    ......  She spoke an uncomfortable truth which many people dont wish to hear.

No matter what date it was held on there would still be protests so why not leave it alone

Message 11 of 17
Latest reply

The thing is, KAK used her position to have a go at the protesters, questioning 

their integrity and credibility. It seemed to me that she did this because of her

opinions and feelings towards them. Whether this amounts to racism is a matter

of opinion. But she was fully aware of what she was saying and the emotions that

are aroused every year around Australia Day. The response was totally predictable

and maybe that was her whole intention. Lets face it, some of us are going on about

a has been who ordinarily would never get a mention. Well done KAK.

Message 12 of 17
Latest reply

my view is most aussies dont care really what day we celebrate 'australia day.

as long as we get a day off and can have a BBQ and a drink and be with mates/family.

but for a section of the population the idea of celebrating the 'invasion' of their land on a day they see as THE day they were invaded is a problem.

so just change the darn day! make it the 16th of jan or the 20th or whatever, and remove the 'we celebrate white folk arriving'

we have history books that show the 26th really isnt of true importance, but we have added carp to it.

so create a real day to celebrate what it is to be australia, the goos stuff, thats the good stuff for all.

why are we celebrating bullshyte? some of the stuff we are suposedly celebrating never happened, not on the 26th!

our PM announces a re-enactment of cooks sailing around australia!

he never did sail around australia!

Message 13 of 17
Latest reply

@donnashuggy wrote:

Well she has definitely put some pressure on the percentage of do-gooders that march for a fashionable cause, those that have possibly never even been to an indigenous community. I personally wish for a change of date. I do feel as you said they are related.

I don't see the point in changing the day. What would be the point?

I can understand that the indigenous stance in seeing the 26th Jan 1788 as the begiinning of the end of their culture.

Changing the date wouldn't change that.

If it's going to be such a divisive point, it should be abolished altogether IMO.

Message 14 of 17
Latest reply

I think if the date is changed then the nonsense might stop. The gay marriage thing was settled by giving people what they want and we no longer have to listen to the debate!

Photobucket
Message 15 of 17
Latest reply

KAK has had her day in the sun, she is just trying to make a comeback and she has to do it with controversy, with ratings!

Message 16 of 17
Latest reply

@azureline** wrote:

KAK has had her day in the sun, she is just trying to make a comeback and she has to do it with controversy, with ratings!

ok well we've all had our day in the sun.

Time to hand over to the powers that want to turn off our sun, I guess.

Enjoy!

Message 17 of 17
Latest reply