Recycler hungry for Australia's stinky old shoes

imastawka
Honored Contributor
Sweat-stained running shoes, double-pluggers that have blown out, work boots that smell so bad they could kill a cat at 20 paces. 

They're pure gold to recyclers and Australians are being urged to surrender them to mark Global Recycling Day on Saturday.

As the nation transitions to a circular economy, more and more niche recycling programs are popping up and shoes are no exception.

The TreadLightly program, backed by the Australian Sporting Goods Association and recycler Save Our Soles, has already recycled more than 600,000 pairs of shoes.

But that's a drop in the ocean, with the association saying 25 million sports shoes are imported into Australia every year.

Executive director Shaun Bajada says Australians should know eligible shoes - including most sports shoes, school shoes, thongs, slides and even gumboots, can be remade into new products including gym mats and flooring.

"Shoes can be recycled, no matter how dirty or over-worn they are."

A network of retailers across Australia act as collection points for old shoes, which are then sent to Save our Soles, which shreds them.

Various components such as metals and textile fluff are extracted and separated, with shoe waste blended with rubber from recycled tyres to make new products.

Save our Soles says all material is collected, recycled and manufactured in Australia.

For drop off locations check the TreadLightly website.

Find nearest collection location | Sport & Active wear shoes - TreadLightly (asga.com.au)

Recycler hungry for Australia's stinky old shoes (msn.com)

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

WOW!

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

There are lots of things that can be recycled that are generally not. The bottleneck with programs like this is usually finding people to buy the final product! Hence the collapse of redcycle- lots of plastic collected and a number of businesses able to turn it into new stuff, not want to make more stuff than they can sell. I would love this to take off but fear the circular economy will not happen without legislation. A lot of people still think re-used and recycled is somehow inferior to new.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

I'm happy with the term 'repurposed'....it seems to 'cut through'

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

@cam-2793 wrote:

There are lots of things that can be recycled that are generally not. The bottleneck with programs like this is usually finding people to buy the final product! Hence the collapse of redcycle- lots of plastic collected and a number of businesses able to turn it into new stuff, not want to make more stuff than they can sell. I would love this to take off but fear the circular economy will not happen without legislation. A lot of people still think re-used and recycled is somehow inferior to new.

They're not making new shoes out of old ones though.

Executive director Shaun Bajada says Australians should know eligible shoes - including most sports shoes, school shoes, thongs, slides and even gumboots, can be remade into new products including gym mats and flooring.

I like the idea, but unfortunatley it takes me about 20 years or more to wear out sneakers/shoes.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

I like how Europe is kicking back against manufacturers whose products are " difficult" to repair.

p.s. anyone know a good cobbler or cordwainer in Toowoomba? None of the second hand stores up here sell my size or style.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

All my shoes are leather ( I can't wear plastic) and while it is possible to recycle leather it's usually used to cover furniture. Mattresses are recycled to make carpet underlay. Cotton and wool clothing and offcuts can make industrial ragging and insulation. Once reuse, repair and repurpose options have been exhausted.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

if the leather has been vegetable-tanned, it should be biodegradable.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Maybe if a manufacturer can not be immediately found for the raw partially processed product then the Government should consider purchasing and storing until an end-manufacturer finds use and makes an bulk order offer 

To attract serious thought would be desirable if raw recycled waste is presented in storage looking like new raw material , not looking like a pile of garbage

Who knows ?  the Government may make a modest profit 

The same for old TV crt tubes - a hazardous waste item which comprises lead and other nasties, possibly useful melted down and moulded into containment vessels for low-level radioactive medical waste - but who is going to consider if not a huge number of tubes neatly stacked .... 

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply