Removing cat urine smell from floor boards?

Hi all,

Previous owners of my house had pets that urinated all over unsealed floor boards in my bedroom (yuck!) I managed to get rid of most of the smell except when its damp it all comes back.  Now my cat has taken to urinating on the carpet which has soaked through to the floor boards. Short of ripping them up which is becoming more and more tempting, does anyone have ideas on what I could try?

So far I have tried bleach, washing powder, bicarb and vinegar, using citronella after to stop puss going back there but its to no avail.  It stinks.  I am considering ripping up the carpet completely and painting the boards with enamel then placing more flooring on top (rug). The only other option is Urine off but going by the reviews its not always successful and a lot to fork out to find out it won't work.

Any ideas are appreciated 🙂

Message 1 of 49
Latest reply
48 REPLIES 48

There's also a product called nil odor that can be quite effective
Message 2 of 49
Latest reply

Bella, there is an Australia made product called p*ss off which we found really effective when one of our cats wet where it shouldn't.  You can buy it from most pet shops.

Don't use any ammonia products as to a cat they smell like cat's wee and they will continually wee there.  The other product I find quite good is Biozet laundry powder.  I use it to clean the cats litter tray as it's a neutraliser.

Message 3 of 49
Latest reply

Get the dog to s*it on the same spot

won't fix the problem, but seriously, there is no worse smell than cat pee

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 4 of 49
Latest reply

Thank you all, will check out those products anything is worth a shot! 🙂  ha ha ha Green cat!!  I think I can get her to stop but a lot of the problem is removing the scent from the previous owners animals. If I can eliminate that it'll go a long way to stopping her!

Message 5 of 49
Latest reply

step one....get rid of the cat! it' trying to establish it's territory from the previous smells

yeah, rip up the carpet 

Signatures suck.
Message 6 of 49
Latest reply

LOL Joz I've had her almost 10 years couldn't do that, she usually only pulls this trick when her routine is interrupted, it's not all the time thankfully.  Carpet is def going no two ways about that, I need to eliminate the smell and then take measures so that if it happens again it can be easily cleaned.  Biggest problem is the the last owner, the floorboards are literally covered in pee. Totally gross...

Message 7 of 49
Latest reply

Rip up the carpet and sand the boards,  really sand them well

edit:    or move again

Message 8 of 49
Latest reply

I'd be replacing the floor boards if you can afford it

Message 9 of 49
Latest reply

Your biggest problem is that it's soaked into raw wood and any dampness will reactivate it. You mention painting over it but I doubt that will work as the dampness can still recurr.
What about relining the floor with one of the products they line floors with before tiling or vinyl?
Message 10 of 49
Latest reply