Royal Commish Dyson Heydon Stays!

Heydon refuses to quit inquiry

Dyson Heydon will continue as Trade Unions royal commissioner, despite pressure from the union movement and the Labor Party.

Justice Heydon delivered his ruling today, and said the royal commission would resume tomorrow as per usual.

Mr Heydon published a 67-page decision that concluded “it is not the case that a fair-minded lay observer might apprehend that I might not bring an impartial mind to the resolution of the questions which the work of the Commission requires to be decided”.

The unions have yet to respond to the decision.

Entire Article Here

Message 1 of 40
Latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

A principled man of high intellect .

Well done Dyson Heydon !

Message 2 of 40
Latest reply

j*oono
Community Member

Yes, that was his decision.

Comment: Trade Union Royal Commission: Dyson Heydon shows why judges really are a breed apart

Mark Kenney - Sydney Morning Herald

A welter of evidence clearly establishing a widespread public perception of bias on the part of the royal commissioner into trade union corruption has been brushed off as irrelevant by the highest legal authority charged with assessing it; the royal commissioner himself. 

Joono
Message 3 of 40
Latest reply

I don't think it came as any surprise, Joono - it's a bit hard to give yourself a kick up the bum

Message 4 of 40
Latest reply

It's quite obvious that the unions and the Labor party will do anything to shut the TURC down because they fear the revelations of corruption that will come out of it.

From what I've heard they're going to petition the Governor General to remove DH from the post.

The general opinion is that they're going to try to tie up and delay the Commission until after the election, when it can become obsolete.

Message 5 of 40
Latest reply

I imagine that Dyson Heydon is probably a very nice man and I sure he's an excellent judge/adjudicator.
However, given the guaranteed politisation this RC was always going to attract, from either side, he had to be seen to be squeaker than squeaky clean. I think the RC is now critically tainted.
And, his defence has also opened a whole new acceptable response for anyone who doesn't want to answer questions. "I wasn't aware". That's dangerous territory
Message 6 of 40
Latest reply

@lurker172602 wrote:
I imagine that Dyson Heydon is probably a very nice man and I sure he's an excellent judge/adjudicator.
However, given the guaranteed politisation this RC was always going to attract, from either side, he had to be seen to be squeaker than squeaky clean. I think the RC is now critically tainted.
And, his defence has also opened a whole new acceptable response for anyone who doesn't want to answer questions. "I wasn't aware". That's dangerous territory

I agree with you in that the Royal Commission has now been drawn into conflict through the accusations of the ALP.

However, Justice Heydon has had plenty of time to make his considerations to stand down or forge ahead, so he must have prepared himself  with plenty of  material to be able to defend himself well for the onslaught from the ALP. He must know they're not going to rest in their efforts to close the commission down. They have too much to lose to let it go ahead.

As to "I wasn't aware". It was actually when he became aware of the possible conflict of interest his attendance at the event could be seen as that he cancelled.

"I wasn't aware" was Mr Shorten's favourite response when he was in the stand, I believe.

Message 7 of 40
Latest reply

moonflyte
Community Member

If Dyson Heydon should lose his job for percieved bias then 99.9% of ABC staff should go as well.

Message 8 of 40
Latest reply

broelman-sept-01.jpg

Message 9 of 40
Latest reply

@lurker172602 wrote:

What tosh, trying to taint an honourable man with a sentence?? What should be commented on is the unions don't want to be investigated and they have used their massive power along with the left arm of unionism, the Labor party, to destroy this RC. 

That's what's happening here and anybody who doesn't understant that ot doesn't want to see the truth of this onslaught is living under a mushroom.

Message 10 of 40
Latest reply