SA Liberals plan to slash payroll tax for small businesses

SA Liberals launch election campaign with plan to slash payroll tax for small businesses

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-04/sa-liberals-launch-election-campaign-with-payroll-tax-cut-plan...

heard liberal leader mr marshal on abc radio this morning spruiking his cut to payroll tax.

every time he was asked a question his reply was 'well let me tell you what labor will do'

completely avoiding answering how this huge cut in revenue would be done.

so where will he get the cash lost to pay for the things this tax pays for now?

i suspect he will cut cut cut spending.

he says this cut to taxation will create jobs but how many public servants will lose their jobs to govt cuts? isnt it false economy to sack one person to give another a job?

to me, govt is like a business or a home, you require money comming in to 'pay the bills'

if you stop getting 10% of your weekly income then you have 10% less money to spend on 'bills'

so you have to find 'savings' to cover that loss,

so where will mr marshal cut?

not his paypacket i bet.

Message 1 of 2
Latest reply
1 REPLY 1

SA Liberals plan to slash payroll tax for small businesses

@davidc4430 wrote:

SA Liberals launch election campaign with plan to slash payroll tax for small businesses

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-04/sa-liberals-launch-election-campaign-with-payroll-tax-cut-plan...

heard liberal leader mr marshal on abc radio this morning spruiking his cut to payroll tax.

every time he was asked a question his reply was 'well let me tell you what labor will do'

completely avoiding answering how this huge cut in revenue would be done.

so where will he get the cash lost to pay for the things this tax pays for now?

i suspect he will cut cut cut spending.

he says this cut to taxation will create jobs but how many public servants will lose their jobs to govt cuts? isnt it false economy to sack one person to give another a job?

to me, govt is like a business or a home, you require money comming in to 'pay the bills'

if you stop getting 10% of your weekly income then you have 10% less money to spend on 'bills'

so you have to find 'savings' to cover that loss,

so where will mr marshal cut?

not his paypacket i bet.

Recent figures show SA has the highest number of public servants per capita for any state or territory in Australia. SA's public servants are also paid substantially more than the mean salary. ( what the " ordinary ' non govt. worker earns ). Not only that, but as any one who has to deal with a PS. department can tell you, many areas of S.A's public service are extremely inefficient. This is exemplified by a recent widely reported circular sent to all senior and mid level S.A government administration staff, advising to only have meetings about things that are actually needed and to have clearly defined goals for meetings. The circular also asked meeting organisers to ensure that only the staff who actually needed to attend meetings where asked to participate.

The fact that this request even needed to be sent is a classic illustration of how bloated and inefficient SA's public service has become. The Wetheral Labor government promised to trim public service service numbers and has paid many millions of dollars in redundancy payments, only to re-employ many of the same people as private consultants AND actually increase the total number of public servants at the same time.

As a small business operator, I have seen an incredible blow out in government red tape in the last couple of years, no doubt due to the very high numbers of SA public servants trying to justify their existence. The effect is absolutely strangling for small business. Taken in isolation, some of the ideas may sound reasonable, but when added together are an incredible burden for small operators trying to comply.

So if the Libs plan is to really trim our bloated PS. to bring it back more into line with other states and re-deploy the funds saved to employing people in the private sector, all I can say is HALLELUJAH !!!!       About time. 

Message 2 of 2
Latest reply