Same-sex marriage

Liberal members opposing plebiscite warned they risk 'destroying' Coalition

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-02/same-sex-marriage-warren-entsch-wont-be-intimidated/8766194

i just dont understand why the govt is being so head in the sand over this law change.

it doesnt matter if you like the idea of same sex marriage or not, its going to happen sooner or later, no doubt about it.

so why not just get it over with? move on!

its like giving women the vote, making aboriginals part of society ect ect. there comes a time to stop fighting a war you cant win.

as if the govt didnt have enough problems, why include something so rediculous?

oh, we promised a pebicite! cant go back on that.

yes you can, just do it, do the smart thing for once. earn ya pay for once, make a damn decision!

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Same-sex marriage

Hi, David,

as far as I am concerned, I believe that the majority of people could not care less. Like you said, there are more urgent and pressing problems the Government needs to address. This topic is just a diversion from the real problems.

It's not as if a million same sex couples want to get married, but for the few that would it gives stability to their relationship and makes a big difference in legal matters should one partner die. They are not going to harm anyone or take anything away from anyone.

One would think that at my age I would be outraged at same sex marriages, but I have met so many people from different walks of life to have an open mind.

Erica

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

Same-sex marriage

This government is such a bunch of do-nothing-just-take-the-money pollies that voters have more than enough to gripe about so they may not get re-elected.

Same sex marriage is not a big deal for most of the population.  For those people affected by it, they should have that option.  The world isn't going to come to an end as a consequence for goodness sake.

As for Labor....out comes the Republic push again.  Give us strength...if that the best THEY can do?

How did we end up with a government and an opposition so full of idiots?

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

Same-sex marriage

I am mostly neutral on this but something needs to be considered.

The sanctity of a marriage between a man and a woman needs to be respected.

If same sexers want marriage, perhaps they should create their own marriage sanctity.

You don't go to a tennis club with your polo horse expecting to play polo, you start your own polo club.

Please don't expect the tennis club to change.

image host
Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

Same-sex marriage

Nobody is asking you to change teams, Kopes    flirty3-smiley.gif

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

Same-sex marriage

i dont think its the word 'marriage' thats the problem, its the idea of 2 people of the same gender becoming man and wife thats being denied.

there are so many words that once ment one thing that these days mean totally different things.

was time when if you said.....'oh i feel so happy and gay today' nobody would look at you and think you were homosexual.

marriage is a word describing joining of 2 'things' to me. not just in the wedding sense.

you can fix a piece of plastic to a piece of metal and its called marrying them together. also sticking them together, glueing them together ect.

my mum and dad were married, but they were actually glued together from the day they met until dad passed away.

if marriage was only ever used to decribe a man and a woman joing in a church with all the religeous hooplah that would be different but its been 'watered' down already as marriage outside the church has been goin on for yonks. gee you can get married whilst sky diving! lol underwater, in a park, in mums back yard....all without a priest in the area.

so lets just make same sex marriage legal and stop wasting the effort trying to stop a runnaway train by standing in front of it holding our hand up and saying 'stop'

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

Same-sex marriage

was time when if you said.....'oh i feel so happy and gay today' nobody would look at you and think you were homosexual.

Gay is a word that has had different meanings over the years like you wouldn't believe.  I have an old Punch magazine cartoon from the late 1800s that shows a woman who by our standards is looking reasonably well dressed, but a bit untidy.  Her friend looks surprised to see her and she is saying to her something along the lines of, "Goodness, how long have you been gay?"  She doesn't mean happy OR homosexual (or lesbian).  In those days gay meant she was calling her friend a prostitute!

Lots of kinds of marriage these days, no doubt about it.  My mother is not happy if same sex marriage is allowed in the church. Knowing the Catholic church as we all do (ie it is hopelessly behind the times) she will probably get her wish.  But a civil ceremony, or in another church not so old fashioned....why not for goodness sake? 

But the Bible says...is no longer a valid argument.  There's lots of rules in the Bible (especially the Old Testament) that no one would suggest keeping as law.  That's humans for you...able to pick and choose.  Well here's another one we can choose to change.

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

Same-sex marriage

i'd have thought with all the negative publicity the church has had lately the idea of reaching out and acepting the gay and lesbian comunity would be a positive move.

but i guess after spending so long pointing at same sex couples as evil and depraved, the cause of child abuse ect ect they backed themselves into a corner.

who could have known it would turn out the evil doers were much closer to home?

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

Same-sex marriage

@davidc4430 wrote:

i'd have thought with all the negative publicity the church has had lately the idea of reaching out and acepting the gay and lesbian comunity would be a positive move.

but i guess after spending so long pointing at same sex couples as evil and depraved, the cause of child abuse ect ect they backed themselves into a corner.

who could have known it would turn out the evil doers were much closer to home?

Ain't that the truth. Smiley Embarassed

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

Same-sex marriage

If the "sanctity of marriage" between a man and a woman actually existed, there would never be a divorce.

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply