Sending letter of demand to relative

I was recently involved in an at fault car accident and gave my licence and contact details to the other driver..   I contaced my insurance company and got a claim no and gave it to the other driver..  

I recently received a phone call from a hire car company who gave the other drivers name and

enquired about the excess with my insurance company.  I informed them that they need to speak to my insurance company. 

I rang my insurance company and they said to forward anything to them.  I mentioned I hadn't received anything just had a call.

A relative has contacted me today advising they have received a letter addressed to me.  I asked them to open it and it was

a letter of demand from the hire car company for over $3,000.00.    Why do I have insurance?

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Sending letter of demand to relative

Just found out that someone not a relative that has the same surname has received the same letter of demand.    Car rental company has looked in the white pages and sent letters with my name and the other party's name..   Not happy.

Message 21 of 27
Latest reply

How did you learn of this latest letter if it wasn't a relative?  If you are so easy to find, why hasn't a letter of demand been delivered to your address.

DEB

Message 22 of 27
Latest reply

I looked in the phone book for people with my surname and rang them, that's how I found out that they had received the letter.   There are a couple of others that I assume would have received the same letter.    It's a shame my surname isn't Smith. 

Message 23 of 27
Latest reply

I really would not be too worried about it.  If the insurance company is slow in settling the claim some of these companies try to take matters into their own hands.

Why would you be ringing people with the same name?  No doubt they would just ignore the letter if they were not involved in the accident.

Just hand anything at all that comes to you to your insurance company and stop worrying.  If you do owe anyone any money the insurance company will let you know soon enough.

Message 24 of 27
Latest reply

If you do owe anyone any money the insurance company will let you know soon enough.

That's what I'm worried about.    I've paid the excess and thought it was all over and done..

Message 25 of 27
Latest reply

It's a shame my surname isn't Smith. 

due to being cursed with a terrible surname I decided long ago that the best surname is Jones, there is only one way to spell it and everyone seems to know how to spell and pronounce it.

Smith can by Smyth, Smythe and a couple of others, Brown can be spelt with an e at the end, so Jones it has to be.

Message 26 of 27
Latest reply

IT IS over and done with.....just forward anything that comes your way to the insurance company and they will deal with it.

It is not your faulth the insurance company is dragging the chain, so to speak but it is understandable that the other claimants are getting a bit annoyed at the delay.

They have your name and details so of course they will come after you for their money.  I am also sure they will not be happy if the insurance company is querying the amounts being claimed.

Message 27 of 27
Latest reply