Sending letter of demand to relative

I was recently involved in an at fault car accident and gave my licence and contact details to the other driver..   I contaced my insurance company and got a claim no and gave it to the other driver..  

I recently received a phone call from a hire car company who gave the other drivers name and

enquired about the excess with my insurance company.  I informed them that they need to speak to my insurance company. 

I rang my insurance company and they said to forward anything to them.  I mentioned I hadn't received anything just had a call.

A relative has contacted me today advising they have received a letter addressed to me.  I asked them to open it and it was

a letter of demand from the hire car company for over $3,000.00.    Why do I have insurance?

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

I rang my insurance company and they said to forward anything to them.

Message 2 of 27
Latest reply

i was once in a similar position when we had a fire in a flat, and the water from the firies, damaged the flat under us

Just do what your insurance company said - ie forward the letter to them,. They will take care of it

Message 3 of 27
Latest reply

Does your car insurance policy cover 'rental car hire'? It is usually an optional extra. If it does cover it, how many days hire is covered?

Where did the person/business who sent the $3000 bill get your relatives address from? Does your drivers licence and insurance policy have your correct address on them?

If there is any doubt that you aren't covered for the car hire, phone your insurance company and ask them so you know for sure as soon as possible.
Message 4 of 27
Latest reply

The hire car was for the other party.  I don't have hire car cover on my insurance policy.

The hire car company doesn't have my address obviously and have sent the letter of demand to the relative.

I have an unusual surname and there aren't many in my state.

Message 5 of 27
Latest reply

I am sorry you have had this happen. One of the pitfalls of not selecting the rental car option on car insurance policies. I would not have though of that.

The driver of the other car who hired the rental car had your address, you think they would have provided that to the rental co. instead of letting the rental car company 'guess' your address.
Message 6 of 27
Latest reply

My drivers' licence and insurance policy have my correct address.  Don't understand why it wasn't sent to the insurance company and now I'm worried I'll be stuck with the bill. 

Message 7 of 27
Latest reply

I would phone your insurance company, and speak to someone there. It ought to be pretty straightforward-you already have a claim number, so there ought to be paper work. Just explain to them that you are forwarding a letter to them from the other party- I would take a scan or copy of it, but I dont think you need to stress about it..Imo, its a classic stuff up..

🙂
Message 8 of 27
Latest reply

4th time:  forward information to your insurance company.

Don't pay the unusually surnamed relative $3,000.

DEB

Message 9 of 27
Latest reply

It would still be a good idea to send that letter of demand to your insurance company . They can check to make sure it sure it is a claim for fair & reasonable costs. That the person hasn't hired a car that is a much more expensive one than what they usually drive etc.
Message 10 of 27
Latest reply