Should the media photoshop gory images?

There has been a bit of debate about a US newspaper photoshopping the gory bits of an image of a girl with an horrific wound on her leg after the Boston bombing.

The image was photoshopped on the front page but was published elsewhere in it's original form.

Most newspapers are condemng the photoshopping as are photographers. They believe the news is the news and should be portrayed truthfully.

But the paper is saying they did it to be respectful to the victim and the family and because they didn't want kids seeing this on the front page.

I agree with them.

If I had my leg blown off in such a horrific way, I wouldn't want it flashed across the nation. I wouldn't want my family and my friends to see it.

What do you think?

Link to full story attached:

http://www.smh.com.au/world/newspaper-caught-photoshopping-injuries-out-of-boston-marathon-photograp...

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

lis351
Community Member

I dont think the picture needed to be displayed on the front page full stop, photoshopped or not.

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

I dont agree with it being on the front page or any page at all.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

*pepe
Community Member

i agree with lis and purple haize.

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

If they need to photoshop they need not publish the photos.

Think of the injured. As if they need that to top of their trauma.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

Photos of injured people, taken without permission, should not be published anywhere........some people have a morbidinterest in doing this.... to be first... to be "the best" for shock value etc... without any thought for the human factor.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

TV is getting too graphic with everything.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

I don't have a problem with it. I must be a ghoul.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

I loathe the media's lack of decency and responsibility.

Not to mention the reasons behind publishing certain content and in the manner they do.

Not much media on the globe with credibility anymore. 😞

image host
Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

j*oono
Community Member

I agree with you Kopenhagen.  The photos published on the internet of the Boston marathon bombings were not good.  

Imagine if you were a child?  I didn't have to grow up with that kind of thing because decency prevailed.  Journalism is different these days and it's all the lowest of the low.  Much like shock jocks on the radio.

Joono
Message 10 of 11
Latest reply