Shrink Wrapping

does anyone know of a way to shrink wrap things at home?

i collect model cars, boxes range from quite small say 12cm x 75mm x 75mm to 70cm x 50cm x 20cm

sometimes they come shrink wrapped but often not.

id love to be able to shrink wrap them to protect them myself.

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Shrink Wrapping

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Office Works sells the shrink wrap in rolls, but you need a heat gun.

https://www.getpacked.com.au/p/heat-gun-hot-air-gun-electric-hot-air-heat-gun/4-Heat_Gun

Needs some research, though, David.

Don't need to be messing up your collectables

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Shrink Wrapping

Check out Utube for some hints on this.  Be aware that you need a proper heat blower, which gets quite hot.  Some people may tell you that you can use a hairdryer, don't believe it, as I have tried.  Then you need the proper pouches, which you can buy on eBay. Also be aware that professional shrinkwrapped items may be done with specialized machinery designed just for the task.  What you can manage to do yourself could be a letdown.  Personally, with collectables, I wouldn't take the chance as the heat may affect them.  You may want to consider alternatives.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Shrink Wrapping

thanks people, i will do some research and i wont even attempt it on a collectable unless ive got it working on junk items first if i even get that far.

ive been tidying my collection up and the ones with shrink wrap its just a wipe with a damp cloth then a dry cloth, but you cannot touch printed cardboard with anything damp!

and dry wiping really doesnt remove dust properly.

and buying glass door cabinets would cost a fortune,

so ive really been keeping my best cars in large cardboard storage boxes or large plastic storage boxes in a darkened room.

i know i have them but hardly ever see them.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

Shrink Wrapping

I also have a collection of cars - 

33af0fb4-6066-11e6-8e25-a9dcaaadb011.jpg

Tintin cars, 70 in all. Smiley Happy

I keep them in those big plastic storage boxes with clip on lids and wheels.

image host
Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

Shrink Wrapping

some of my larger radio control car kits that i'd like to shrink wrap.

001.JPG

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Shrink Wrapping

I see what you mean.

Important to keep the boxes in good order without shrinking too tight so corners round over time.

image host
Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Shrink Wrapping

and keep moisture out, i live next to a lot of water plus i have evaporative airconditioning.

but the bonus of shrink wrap is you can display the cars without dust getting all over the carboard.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

Shrink Wrapping

Nice collection Dave. Another problem with displaying them might be light fading the printing on the boxes. I havnt got any answers on this one for you sorry, but the fading could be a real issue.

Second question.......... is the shrink wrap plastic acid free ? I know with my antique books, they shouldnt be wrapped in normal plastics as they can discolour the paper over time. I have purchased special acid free plastic from an antiquarian book seller to keep these in, but it is quite stiff and may not suit your needs.. If you want to have a look at the plastic sheet, ..... Micheal Trelour on Nth. Tce. Adelaide ( opposite the state library ) should stock it.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Shrink Wrapping

ADELAIDE?

i googled it, do you need a passport to go that far?

LOL

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply