Site Speed

I switched from Cable to the NBN last week. One of the first things I noticed was that it took longer to refresh the page here. I just spoke with an NBN technician who suggested it could be a problem with the site. He also said that the NBN is not meant to be faster than cable and at times can, in fact, be slower.

Has anybody else noticed a slowing in speed when refreshing the page over the last week? If it isn't a problem with eBay then the NBN looks like it's going to be somewhat of a disappointment. I actually thought it would be faster! Should have done my homework better.

Message 1 of 35
Latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Site Speed

I went from adsl to nbn recently and it's a little faster with zero drop outs, unlike before.

Homework ? well doesn't everyone need to be on nbn by a certain time anyway ?

My neighbour had cable and it was cut off so they were forced onto the NBN.

image host
Message 2 of 35
Latest reply

Site Speed

We switched from NBN satellite to NBN fixed wireless when we moved a couple of weeks ago.

It's definitely a little bit faster now, as there's no satellite lag.

We have no idea about cable though, as we haven't had it for years (since we moved from a big coastal town to the country).
Message 3 of 35
Latest reply

Site Speed

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

I went from adsl to nbn recently and it's a little faster with zero drop outs, unlike before.

Homework ? well doesn't everyone need to be on nbn by a certain time anyway ?

My neighbour had cable and it was cut off so they were forced onto the NBN.

By homework I mean I should have learned more so I wouldn't have had false expectations. As I mentioned, I thought it would be faster.

Message 4 of 35
Latest reply

Site Speed

LOL - so did most I think.

Sometimes - it's barely there. Robot Frustrated

Message 5 of 35
Latest reply

Site Speed

imastawka
Honored Contributor

We have always had cable to the house, and very fast internet.

NBN connected with no problems.

Speed is much faster - no lag time.

Ebay is no problem.

When you say cable, do you mean cable to the house?   Cos the NBN doesn't (or shouldn't) disconnect the cable.

It should be faster, but depends on what package you subscribed to.  We got the top speed package.

Have you done the usual?....clearing cookies and cache, changing browser maybe after

all that re-boot.

Message 6 of 35
Latest reply

Site Speed

Yes, cable to the house. The technician ran tests at his end and everything seemed normal. I cleared the cookies, cache etc and ran a speed test and again all seemed ok. The only thing is the LAN light has been flashing on the modem since it was installed. I'm being told different things i.e. it's normal and it's not normal, but should settle. However, as I mentioned, the NBN technician said it is not meant to be faster than my previous service and could be slower at peak times - disappointing. I purchased the highest speed domestic package. Hopefully it will eventually kick in.

Message 7 of 35
Latest reply

Site Speed

Have you tried re-booting the modem?

We have to do that occasionally.

Message 8 of 35
Latest reply

Site Speed

The only argument you have - if you have problems - is to turn off the power - remove the plugs - leave it for a bit - then - replace the plugs - turn on the power.

On the modem.

Through experience - that is the only way they know - you have problems.

It shows on their site.

Don't do that - they say all is working well - because nothing is showing their end.

Soooo - turn it off often. lol

Message 9 of 35
Latest reply

Site Speed

According to google, the LAN flashing indicates traffic, that's all.

When there is browsing or traffic going through the network the 'transit' light will also start to blink. When the modem is connected directly to a computer to or a router the LAN light will appear. If you are connected and the light fails to appear this could indicate a problem with the Ethernet cable

What speeds are you clocking?

https://www.speedtest.net/run

Message 10 of 35
Latest reply