Snake question

I need to cut some very long grass and we seem to be a haven for snakes.
As it has been heavily raining here for the past few days, does anyone know if it is safer to wait until the grass is dry before cutting it.
Message 1 of 35
Latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Re: Snake question

jenny.hai
Community Member

Are you concerned about the saftey of the snakes, or getting bit by one? They don't generate their own body heat like people do, or regulate their own temp, so It's my guess they will be where the temp is most comfortable. Looking for shade in the heat of the day, looking for heat in the cold of the night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6F99VFc4GY

Id feel pretty safe myself walking behind a mower. No snake is a match for the spinning blades.

Message 31 of 35
Latest reply

snakes would get spooked by the commotion & buzz off, one woulda thought

so...crank up the mower and get on with it

Signatures suck.
Message 32 of 35
Latest reply

I envy you Ozzies your terrific weather, but not your poisonous snakes and spiders. In the UK we have no poisonous spiders at all, nor snakes. We have two varieties of snake, the harmless Grass Snake and the Adder (Or Viper). The latter so rare (and secretive) that you are never ever likely to see one, even for people who live in the countryside. They are not regarded as especially dangerous nor aggressive, are very timid, and usually bite only when alarmed or disturbed, but normally tend to disappear the moment they sense the vibrations of human footsteps. Bites can be very painful, but are seldom fatal.

Your Cane Toads don't exactly fill me with a great sense of joy either. *ugh*

Message 33 of 35
Latest reply

Thanks for re opening the thread, even though it was done in error.

EMB, in our area we have some more little nasties which may give you nightmares.

The area where we live is semi tropical and encompasses both banana plantations on the hills and a deep sea fishing port.

In the plantations we get spiders, literally the size of a bread and butter plate. Snakes aplenty and then only about 15 mins away we have an abundance of sharks of various types.

These boys have BIG teeth and are fond of a snack or two.

Add to this assorted blue tongue and other larger lizards and we pretty much have it all covered.

When we visited England I couldn't believe that everywhere you looked it was green. It was so beautiful.

Message 34 of 35
Latest reply

Snakes and spiders have venom not poison
Message 35 of 35
Latest reply