Tasted a Grange Hermitage?

Anyone tasted a Grange Hermitage and is it worth spending $700 - $1,000 on?

Is it really extraordinary?

Or is maybe a Henscke a better option?

Thinking of buying one for my fathers birthday. ๐Ÿ™‚

image host
Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Tasted a Grange Hermitage?

Yes but I would rather someone bought me something just as good for $50

Photobucket
Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

I have a suspicion that the vast majority of people who buy Grange Hermitage don't buy it to drink anyway, It's simply an investment. I often wonder how long you could actually keep it before it stopped appreciating in value and went 'over the hill'.

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

Wise words donna. My father would probably say the same.

tgse - It certainly would be an expensive bottle of vinegar. How does a buyer stand if buying such an item from a well known retailer and it has turned? 

image host
Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

Penfold's used to offer a recorking service for Grange.

We've had quite a few bottles of Grange and although it is excellent, the wine industry of Australia has really developed since it's inception.

A brilliant win is a Paxtons Shiraz from MacLaren Vale  or invest in a cellared Wynn's Coonawarra Cab Sav

It all comes down to personal taste.

For the price of a bottle of Grange, you could take him to one of the fantastic degustation sessions at a good winery.....fine foods and fine wines

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

The first red I ever tasted was a Grange.

However, for under a hundred bucks you can get a bottle of Penfolds Bin 389 - these are "matured" or whatever they call it in the wine barrels of the previous year's Grange.

โ€œIโ€™ve got my purse and my gift and my gloves and my selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitor and my monoamine oxidase inhibitor and I have my anti-anxiety disco biscuits and I am ready to go. I am really ready!โ€ Sheila
Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

If you want to taste what a Grange is somewhat like get a Penfolds Bin 389 way way way cheaper and its referred to as the poor manโ€™s grange because components of the wine are matured in the same barrels that held the previous vintage of Grange.

Personally having drunk both over many vintages over many years  I prefer the 389 any day

Reviews of the wine here

http://www.crackawines.com.au/Penfolds/Penfolds_Bin_389_Cabernet_Sauvignon_Shiraz/Wines

Also there are many a vintage of the 389 for sale on eBay at reasonable prices.

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

Excellent advice all. Many thanks. ๐Ÿ™‚ 

fuggsy n buzz, great minds. I shall try the 389.

mrswormwood, Coonawarra cab sav has always been my fathers favorite. And will also try the Paxton's Shiraz.

image host
Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

Yup, and it was very nice, mainly because someone else paid for it ๐Ÿ˜„

Wouldn't bother otherwise.

Creator of the Most Awesome Thread Topic EVER

Me & a friend finished the last bottle in '99 from a dozen my OH bought earlier. It was just hanging around with all our other wines. I had no idea it was so exclusive, we used to drink it all the time. My OH was a wine connoisseur so he knew, he was not happy.

Wouldn't pay that much for it these days, besides, we don't drink anymore...sigh

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply