Taxpayer funded Nannies

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/federal-government-proposal-for-taxpayerfunded-athome-nann...

I don't know about this, I could never have employed a nanny to bring up my kids. As a parent that's something I wanted to do myself. Surely by far the best form of child care is a parent staying home. Surely it costs the government more for these kinds of subsidies? Maybe I am old fashioned and I certainly don't mean to be offensive in anyway but if we have kids don't we want to be the ones raise them? I have known parents/carers that drop their kids off as soon as care opens and pick them up before it closes and I think that is such a shame as they get to spend so little time with them. I don't know maybe the world has moved on since mine were little!

Message 1 of 37
Latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Taxpayer funded Nannies

I think the world has moved on. My eldest is nearly 26. I went back to work when she was 1, then about 8 mths later I was made redundant (the whole Dept. closed).

We had a lady come to our house to look after her. This lady had 2 kids of her own at primary school and she would collect them after school and bring them back to our house. It worked well. I preferred the care at home to putting a1yo in a daycare centre. My daughter loved to play with the older kids after school. The lady would take her out in the daytime...to the park, to her own house sometimes, to the school..
Either way we paid for all the daycare ourselves.
Message 2 of 37
Latest reply

Taxpayer funded Nannies

I'm sure they do but sometimes that's just not possible if the family is to be fed and clothed and actually have a roof over their heads. it's sad but just how the world works now days.

Message 3 of 37
Latest reply

Taxpayer funded Nannies

I do understand that honestly I was actually wondering why there isn't more support for those who choose to be home for a time.  Surely that would be a better investment?

Message 4 of 37
Latest reply

Taxpayer funded Nannies

My granddaughter is in day care 4 days a week, she gets to play with other children they are supplied a hot meal at lunch time and fruit and healthy snacks during the day. On the day she is not there, I have her.

Her mother has to work to keep the family going. She also has a son, and he is in primary school.

Todays way of living is different to yrs. gone by, where the mother had a choice if she wanted to work or not, these days, most mothers work to help pay the bills and keep a roof over their heads and food.

Message 5 of 37
Latest reply

Taxpayer funded Nannies

typical of the lnp..cut education and hospital funding, pensions etc yet provide taxpayer funded nannies, oh and throw īn 75k for a richy rich to pop out a baby....

Message 6 of 37
Latest reply

Taxpayer funded Nannies

this burns me up cause PMT told the nation we have to pull our belts in. do our bit for the budget..

frankly i am happier to pull my belt in for hospitals and education and seniors pensions

Message 7 of 37
Latest reply

Taxpayer funded Nannies

hmmm, to do this though the current CCB elegibility requirements have to be changed, which would completely throw out the National Quality Framework Assessment  criteria...oops

Message 8 of 37
Latest reply

Taxpayer funded Nannies

No!!

I'm sick of paying for people to breed.

Message 9 of 37
Latest reply

Taxpayer funded Nannies

I have to agree there fiesta, on one hand its we are in a budget crisis and on the other we can suddenly find a whole heap of  funding for a scheme such as this.   Of course there is the issue that unless parents work they can't feed their kids and if they can't access decent child care it can create a whole host of other social problems.  So I wondered whether it was actually cheaper to help support one parent mum or dad to stay home at the necessary times and work when possible.

As opposed to an entire funding model that will leave the country in more debt and create other issues as Chuk pointed out which in turn will mean more investment to train people up and invest in a quality framework etc etc

I hear you Crystal but the country needs kids in order to be healthy so if only the rich had kids our pool of workers into the future would be dismal. An issue we are already facing with not enough working age people paying tax and more older Australians needing support.  Far better to create a system that supports families that will be of benefit later on to the country.

Message 10 of 37
Latest reply