Taxpayer funded Nannies

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/federal-government-proposal-for-taxpayerfunded-athome-nann...

I don't know about this, I could never have employed a nanny to bring up my kids. As a parent that's something I wanted to do myself. Surely by far the best form of child care is a parent staying home. Surely it costs the government more for these kinds of subsidies? Maybe I am old fashioned and I certainly don't mean to be offensive in anyway but if we have kids don't we want to be the ones raise them? I have known parents/carers that drop their kids off as soon as care opens and pick them up before it closes and I think that is such a shame as they get to spend so little time with them. I don't know maybe the world has moved on since mine were little!

Message 1 of 37
Latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Re: Taxpayer funded Nannies

True, but what if the Nanny is a mother herself? 

Would that be classed as a qualification?

Message 31 of 37
Latest reply

Most couples, who each have a student loan, would have no hope of paying them off, plus covering the usual household expenses (mortgages, rent etc) if they have children and one parent stays home to look after the children for years.
That is not even taking into account proposed increases in Uni fees and market interest rates applied to the debt
Message 32 of 37
Latest reply

Edited

No, a mother wouldn't be qualified fora paid job as a nanny without qualifications (diploma etc) There are some bad mothers out there.. How would you know what you were going to get when hiring a nanny?
Message 33 of 37
Latest reply

We had a Mum for a nanny for a fairly short time (paid from parents own wages).A professional nanny would have cost more per hour than what I earnt.

In this discussion though it is about the proposal the Govt might subsidise child care costs (nanny) and their requirements for a nanny at home is that the nanny must be qualified.
Message 34 of 37
Latest reply

I find the discussion interesting.  I wasn't implying that government totally support families to stay home but support partially one parent.  I know they do this already but I am talking about extending to previous levels which won't cost anywhere near as much as the current proposal.

I find it interesting that in disability people can be respite carers with as little as a first aid cert (sometimes not even that) and police or WWC checks in Vic.  They do not have to always do the Tafe course or have qualifications.  Many organisations employ people this way here.

I can see the problem being as it is in the disability sector,  that there are not enough people to do the job, so in order to attract workers standards drop.

Message 35 of 37
Latest reply

I've always struggled with the issue of "strangers", we teach our kids about stranger danger but think nothing of introducing them to virtually unknown adults who they are suddenly supposed to trust, respect & obey.  Not just "carers" but random partners thrust upon kids with such potentially damaging results.  Don't get it, never will.  Any chance is a chance too much.

Message 36 of 37
Latest reply

@sheedydog wrote:

I've always struggled with the issue of "strangers", we teach our kids about stranger danger but think nothing of introducing them to virtually unknown adults who they are suddenly supposed to trust, respect & obey.  Not just "carers" but random partners thrust upon kids with such potentially damaging results.  Don't get it, never will.  Any chance is a chance too much.

I agree.  Some parents are not as careful as they should be.

Don't watch this if you are ultra sensitive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16ts-MP_GXQ

Message 37 of 37
Latest reply