The Oscars Slap

what do we think? was the joke worthy of the slap?

not in my view.

bad taste for sure.

something will smith could have addressed in a civilised manner.

no after thought sorry will cuy it, IMO

he must have the statue taken back

violence cannot be rewarded

Message 1 of 81
Latest reply
80 REPLIES 80

The Oscars Slap

I thought it looked pre-arranged?

Message 2 of 81
Latest reply

The Oscars Slap

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Seems a strange thing to be provoked by.

Will and Jada have done an interview where they confessed to an open marriage.

So, you can sleep with my wife, but don't mention her hair?

Are tensions over open marriage real reason Will Smith is so volatile? Asks TOM LEONARD | Daily Mail...

The whole Smith family are a strange bunch - maybe I shouldn't say' strange', but...unusual for a family unit.

They have an open marriage, Jada is bi, Willow is bi and Jaden is non-binary (gender fluid)

But I agree, violence is not to be tolerated.

There should be consequences IMO

From the above link -

Only belatedly last night did the Oscars bosses condemn Smithโ€™s behaviour, saying they will โ€˜explore further action and consequences in according with our bylaws, standards of conduct and California lawโ€™.

Message 3 of 81
Latest reply

The Oscars Slap

Had a similar thing happened to my wife at a function, I probably would have done the same thing. Alopecia for a woman is highly stressful and Chris Rock's comments were in bad taste and offensive - he knew exactly what he was saying. But this happened at the Academy Awards and Will Smith will regret it. Racists, trolls, critics and parasites will bombard Smith (and Rock) and have a field day.

Message 4 of 81
Latest reply

The Oscars Slap

First off, Iโ€™m not a fan of Chris Rock and I donโ€™t particularly find him funny. 
I do like Will Smith though, and I enjoy his movies. 
I couldnโ€™t tell you anything about his family, what they do, who they areโ€ฆโ€ฆ I just donโ€™t care tbh.

But, I did watch the slap/punch/ attack, whatever bench your sitting on as to what actually happened. 

My 2 cents worth is that Chris overstepped a line. I know that comedians often roast well known persons, but to try and get some cheap laughs at the expense of a persons medical condition, is a  shot below the belt and shouldnโ€™t have happened.

HOWEVERโ€ฆโ€ฆ. Will Smith could have asked for an apology. His stomping up on stage to whack Chris in front of everyone, was, IMO, more about putting himself in the limelight, than it was about defending his wifeโ€™s honour.

His behaviour was MORE inappropriate than what Chris said. 
Will should have been asked to leave. His behaviour was deplorable. 

Then, when Will stood at the podium giving his acceptance  speech, THAT would have been the time to apologise to Chris for his p1ss-poor behaviour. Not an online written apology the next day.

My 2 cents. ๐Ÿ˜‰

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 6 of 81
Latest reply

The Oscars Slap

Chris Rock has previously joked about Smith's wife at the Oscars in 2016.

Rock was poking the bear.  Sooner or later that bear is going to react.

Message 7 of 81
Latest reply

The Oscars Slap

Well - here's my 3 cents worth.

To answer firstly David - ' was the ' joke ' worthy of the slap - YES - the condition is no joke.

' Bad taste ' - indeed - on Rock's part.

' Something Smith could have addressed in a civilised manner ' - of course - but some emotions for those we care about - overide what we should have done/did.

Further : The Oscar was Wills - he was judged and found the best -  the Awards are simply the giving.

As far as giving it back - NO - he earnt it - for his ability to act - nothing to do with the events of the evening.

And finally it's Hollywood - what do you think they are going to hand out to the Smiths - between them 350 million - hello - Royalty.

As far as apologies go - both should be doing it.

And no - I certainly do not condone violence in any way shape of form.

Message 8 of 81
Latest reply

The Oscars Slap

@domino-710 wrote:

As far as apologies go - both should be doing it.

-------

That's a good point, Dom. BOTH should apologize.

Message 9 of 81
Latest reply

The Oscars Slap

If Will Smith had wanted to hurt Chris Rock he would have punched him.  Smith knows how to deliver a punch, he played Ali in a movie and learnt to box.

From looking at Smithโ€™s action, he delivered what Iโ€™ll term an โ€˜Honour Slapโ€™.  Not intended to hurt, more as exacting an honour response through use of a sweeping motion to the side of the face rather than a full front on hit.

Smith could have dropped him and knocked him out with a single front on punch to the jaw . . . if his intent was to hurt.

Message 10 of 81
Latest reply