The Untold Grief Of Childless Men

CHILDLESS blokes may have trouble expressing their unmet yearning for kids — but the pain is real. This is the conclusion British sociologist Dr Robin Hadley has come to after studying more than 100 involuntarily childless men, including himself, over nearly a decade.

“It’s an unexpressed grief, it’s a sadness in your pocket,” Dr Hadley says, and moments later adds: “It’s always with you.”

Speaking straight from the heart in his hefty Manchester accent, Dr Hadley, 56, repeatedly uses the word “black” to describe the turmoil of facing up to a childless life.

“I don’t see the future. And if there’s one thing that kids give you, it’s a sense of the future,” he says.

If you are a man who doesn’t have a child, Dr Hadley says a legacy dies with you. Family heirlooms, anecdotes and recipes or other precious items can’t be passed on to the next generation.

Dr Hadley’s voice cracks as he recalls the story of a childless man interviewed during his research, who told him: “My dad loved being a dad. He enjoyed being a dad. And I always thought I would enjoy that as well.”

For Dr Hadley, who got in touch after reading my previous article on women who were unsuccessful at IVF, his mission to shed light on the plight of involuntarily childless men is intensely personal.

He describes himself as a “working class lad” who comes from “a big family of eight children”.

“We were all just expecting to follow my parents, get a job, find a girl, get married, and have children,” he says.

Things didn’t quite work out that way. Dr Hadley’s first marriage split up. In his 30s he met another likely lass, and candidly says: “I really was broody then.”

That relationship also failed, leaving him yearning for children.

“One of my colleagues and somebody I had known from school, he became a father and I was just so jealous of him. I could hardly speak to him, I’d avoid him,” Dr Hadley confesses.

By the time he met his second wife, Maryan, in 1995 the pair were unable to have children due to their age.

Even so, Dr Hadley did not set out to become an expert in this area. He simply went looking for research to explain his own unfulfilled broodiness — and found none.

“There was very little about men’s experience and the desire for fatherhood but there’s an awful lot of research around women and motherhood, and it seemed incredible to me,” he says.

Since then, Dr Hadley’s own research has shown something which negates the timeworn narrative that the desire to procreate falls into the lap of women.

According to an online survey of 232 people conducted in 2009 by Dr Hadley at Manchester University, 59 per cent of men and 63 per cent of women desire to be parents. This means the sexes feel roughly the same yearning for children.

And perhaps unexpectedly, the emotional impact of not having those desired children seems to hit men harder than women.

Dr Hadley says involuntarily childless men, “seemed to be more depressed and more angry”.

“There was a much more emotional reaction than there was for similar women,” he says.

The same research also found childless men felt more isolated and sad than their female counterparts.

The older childless men Dr Hadley interviewed all expressed fears of “being viewed as a paedophile by others if they found themselves in social situations with children”.

This reflects both “society and the media’s coverage of men and ageing,” Dr Hadley says.

While Canberra man Nigel, 62, says he doesn’t grieve for a lack of children, he does sometimes have a “fear of loneliness”.

In his younger days Nigel, a former elite athlete, says he didn’t long for children. But as he got older things started to change.

At about the age of 45, Nigel says he noticed “biological thinking” kicking in. He started to feel that being childless meant “Yes, I was missing out on something” and also that, “I would regret this”.

“I had a relationship in [my] late 40s with a younger woman and I had my vasectomy reversed. I did want a child at that stage,” he explains, but unfortunately “the relationship fell through and so it was never on the cards”.

Nigel says these days he sponsors children from less fortunate circumstances than himself and suggests this might be in order to “compensate, I suppose, or to fill that [fathering] need”.

Entire Article Here

That's so sad.

It's so hard for men to find a woman to settle down with and start a family. Most modern young women want to have a career, travel and/or party, Not necessarily in that order.  Kids tend to get in the way of that.

Message 1 of 34
Latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Not all do, my (now ex) husband threw me out on the street and changed the lock with 0 warning because I can't have kids (which he knew when he met me) but suddenly decided he wants them

Message 2 of 34
Latest reply

esayaf
Community Member
Anybody that obsessed with what they don't have will always be sad. Life isn't about what you haven't got it's about making the most of what you have. There's a huge list of things I'd rather have but it is what it is. Live, love and laugh a little then forget a lot.
Message 3 of 34
Latest reply

Its so true. Men don't talk about their inner feelings, don't like showing soft hearted emotions and keep all those sad feelings bottled up.

Boys don't cry!    Stop sulking - be a man!

That is the way most men have been raised. A man is not to show any weakness. Therefore the general belief that men don't feel as deeply as women.

For a father to embrace a son was unheard of when I was young.

Erica

Message 4 of 34
Latest reply

Entire Article Here

That's so sad.

It's so hard for men to find a woman to settle down with and start a family. Most modern young women want to have a career, travel and/or party, Not necessarily in that order.  Kids tend to get in the way of that.

Hmm.  It seems as though too often it's claimed that women don't have children because they want careers, to travel etc.

Are the any women out there (like me) who are prepared to say it plain and simple, that they don't want children because they aren't maternal in any way?  I have a job, not a career,  and I don't travel or go to parties, but I have also known since I was 14 years old that it would be a cold day in hell before I would want to raise kids....and I've never wavered from that or had any regrets.

Some people like having kids and do a good job...and good luck to them.  My own parents were great.  Some have kids and are rubbish parents.  I reckon I wouldn't make a good parent so why should I make some kid's life hell because raising kids is some kind of community expectation?  At least I'm truthful about it....and no I'm not being selfish.  I'm being practical and honest.  Not all people make good parents.

Message 5 of 34
Latest reply

I think it's admirable that you recognise this about yourself.

Far better be honest about it as you have been than have unwanted children.
I think it maybe a choice more women will make as societal pressures lessen.
Message 6 of 34
Latest reply

Erica-my only son in his mid thirties and grandson aged 3 have

a ..group hug-when we havent been together for a while.

In fact the grandie demands it .lol............................................................Richo.

Message 7 of 34
Latest reply

I realized in my teens that population growth was a problem around the world.

Didn't meet the right girl so looking back, I am so glad I didn't start a family for the sake of it and am happy I have done a little to contribute to the over population problem.

I just wish those nowadays having large families would realize that because they WANT 5,6,or 7 children, others cannot.

There is only a certain amount to go around, it's finite.

I am childless and content. Admittedly I am like a big brother to many children around the neighborhood.

Really just a big kid myself. Smiley Very Happy

image host
Message 8 of 34
Latest reply

@creative*crisis wrote:

I think there are a lot of young women that would love to start a family with a man of  their choice but are somehow made to feel by "societal pressure" that this is a lowly thing to aspire to as a woman, and that to fulfil her potential she must get a job, travel and have fun fun fun.

Message 9 of 34
Latest reply

@icyfroth wrote:

@creative*crisis wrote:

I think there are a lot of young women that would love to start a family with a man of  their choice but are somehow made to feel by "societal pressure" that this is a lowly thing to aspire to as a woman, and that to fulfil her potential she must get a job, travel and have fun fun fun.

That's probably true as well.

Maybe one day . people ...........men and women, will be able to make choices about the direction of their lives without expectations .......real or imagined put on them by others.

Message 10 of 34
Latest reply