The flow on effect

so in 2014 microsoft say we wont be supporting Xp and Vista any more. no more updates!

so then Internet explorer starts saying i'm not secure as no more updates.

so i switch to Google Chrome, thats fine. then Google stops supporting Xp and Vista as Microsoft dont support Xp and Vista.

so i switch to Firefox, the famously INDEPENDANT not one of those BIG rip you off mobs.

Now i get a message Firefox will no longer support users on Xp and Vista!

I see a conspiracy here forcing me to buy a new Windows 10 computer. just so i can be SAFE online.

i'm waiting for my Anti-Virus people to warn me of the fact they will not support me either.

my computer runs just fine most of the time, i dont NEED a new computer really but feel i'm being FORCED into spending a lot of money for no good reason.

i dont have to buy a new car once the manufacturer's warranty runs out, can get it serviced, buy parts ect from other places.

imagine the outcry if after say 10 years regardless you were told your car couldnt drive on the roads as it was unsafe!

go buy a new car mate!

Message 1 of 32
Latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

The flow on effect

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

You dont need to spend a lot of money these days to get a reliable computer.   There are plenty around for under $500 unless you need it for more than just day to day applications.

Message 2 of 32
Latest reply

The flow on effect

The $500 ones are fine for everyday use, but unfortunately they dont stand up to the rigours of constant ebay, online sales use. I usually spend around $1000 on laptops buying business grade Toshiba models and wear them out in around 18 months. The house is littered with old worn out laptops with sloppy USB ports, faulty keyboards and worn or broken screen hinges.

Likewise with cameras. I go through one of these every 12 months or so and always keep a new spare on hand as the cables usually become faulty and they stop working very quickly.

Message 3 of 32
Latest reply

The flow on effect

Sheese no wonder the tips are full, sadly, we now live in a throw away world 😞

Message 4 of 32
Latest reply

The flow on effect

david, there are good fast 'Box only' computers with windows for around $350.

Just got to find one near you to pick up.

I have found them in Clayton, Moorabbin.

image host
Message 5 of 32
Latest reply

The flow on effect

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

david, there are good fast 'Box only' computers with windows for around $350.

Just got to find one near you to pick up.

I have found them in Clayton, Moorabbin.

i do realise there are lower priced examples, my point is that my $2,500 all singing all dancing top of the heap desktop computer which is still doing all the things i need it to do can now not safely do internet surfing because its no longer supported.

yes i can buy a basic system for a low price but i like my superduper desktop.

does anyone sell a new desktop with 2 1TB hard drives, 2 burners, a superduper video card, top of the line mother board, all high quality name brand parts ect ect for a low price. of course not.

and i havent got $2,000 laying around anyway.

i'm told running windows 10 on my desktop is not a good idea as its just not up to it.

as i said if you were told you couldnt drive your 10 year old car 'safely' on the roads you would get pretty upset.

Message 6 of 32
Latest reply

The flow on effect

i'm told running windows 10 on my desktop is not a good idea as its just not up to it.

Who told you this?           Image result for smiley bs animated  

2 1TB hard drives, 2 burners, a superduper video card, top of the line mother board, all high quality name brand parts

If you have a whizz bang computer, then it shouldn't be a problem.

I've updated my whizz bang desktop computer to Win 10 and although it takes

a small time to get used to it, I think it's great.

I got it when it was free, and it comes with it's own browser - Edge

Message 7 of 32
Latest reply

The flow on effect

i was told the CPU wasnt up to the job and to replace that would mean replacing the motherboard and then the other bits wouldnt plug into the new board as things have 'moved on' since my dinosaur was born

Message 8 of 32
Latest reply

The flow on effect

this old banger is running vista ultimate, we were not offered the free windows upgrade i believe because of known issues trying to run 10 on older computers.

my laptop that had windows 7 did get the free update and i keep that as my emergency backup computer in case the desktop has a major failure. has happened a couple of times in its life, hard drive failures.

i had planned to stick 10 on here but it was an expensive update, buying the windows 10 program and no refund if it didnt work. so i left it as vista, as i said until all this 'we dont support it' carp it was fine. now i dont get updates from microsoft and everyone else seems to be jumping on board that bus.

Message 9 of 32
Latest reply

The flow on effect

Let me get this straight, David.  Is this your computer?.......

2 1TB hard drives, 2 burners, a superduper video card, top of the line mother board, all high quality name brand parts

Cos I'm running Win10 on 256gigs of hard drive with plenty of room left over 

If you have that much room on your hard drive, then you'd p*ss it in, no problems.

You wouldn't have been offered the free Win10 on something that was running Vista.

You don't have to spend a fortune getting the Pro version, just the home version should be enough

Message 10 of 32
Latest reply