Today is World Autism Awareness Day – April 2nd.

untitled.png

Today is World Autism Awareness Day – April 2nd.
Autism rates are increasing. Australia hasn’t released its rates recently so let’s look at the US.
2012: 1 in 100 children
2013: 1 in 88 children
2014: in 68 children
There is a lot of speculation about why.

We need  to look at it from a “what should we do about it” perspective.
There is a lot more awareness in the medical sector these days and many children have been diagnosed who may have previously slipped through the cracks.
As the general public we MUST become a more autism aware society.
Many years ago we weren’t very aware with vision impairments, for example. Now we have guide dogs being allowed access to food courts and we have traffic light crossings that make noise to allow those with vision impairments to cross the road safely.
Yet the world is still resisting the change to become more autism aware.
The rates are increasing. And contrary to what some people think- it’s not ‘cool’ or ‘trendy’ to get a diagnosis- nor is it a way to grab money from funding.

The diagnosis process alone costs hundreds (sometimes thousands) of dollars- and the assistance therapy far outweighs the costs of any funding package (which is paid directly to the therapists- not as a cash payment to parents lol). It is like saying someone cut off their leg just so they could get a disability parking permit. It’s totally ridiculous.

I don’t know anybody who would reach for a diagnosis simply to get funding- particularly when the societal negative stigma attached far outweighs any positives. And good luck these days finding a paediatrician who would falsely diagnose it- not to mention the waiting lists and costs to see one.
We need pre awareness- because these children- 1 in every 68 (and rising) will one day be your neighbour, your friend, your boss, your doctor, your shop assistant, your student, your teacher. And we have an obligation as a society to move with the times.
Gone are the days when a person who is deaf or blind would have to go to a special school or not be educated at all- because we are moving with the times.
It is time to do the same with the Autism Spectrum.

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Today is World Autism Awareness Day – April 2nd.

I did clarify but it hasn't posted..... sorry.

I didn't write this, stole it from fb.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Although I wonder if in the past people were just not diagnosed, or were diagnosed much later, or if nowadays quite "normal" kids are diagnosed, when in fact they just going through bad period.  I saw recently program where 26 years old PhD student only just realised she was on the spectrum.  🙂

But, all the chemicals in our environment which may have some effect on developing autism, are just terrifying.  They definitely have effect on all sort of functions.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

There is a lot of unknown but I don't think a diagnosis can be had on a "bad period".

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

And for boys it's as high as 1 in 42 apparently. 

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

@*kazumi* wrote:

Although I wonder if in the past people were just not diagnosed, or were diagnosed much later, or if nowadays quite "normal" kids are diagnosed, when in fact they just going through bad period.  I saw recently program where 26 years old PhD student only just realised she was on the spectrum.  🙂

But, all the chemicals in our environment which may have some effect on developing autism, are just terrifying.  They definitely have effect on all sort of functions.

I agree. Over the years we have used more and more chemicals. All our food is poisoned and so is most of the water. Nothing we eat or drink is pure and clean anymore. I think there should be more research into the cause of Autism. It is frightening to know that Autism has increased and is increasing more worldwide.

I just read in Readers Digest about a womans autistic son using SIRI on iPad to hold conversations and learn all about the things he is interested in. While he won't talk to other people, he loves talking to SIRI and get answers in a friendly way. Perhaps it may also help some other parents with an autistic child.

Erica

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Boys are diagnosed more than girls but probably because girls hide it better.
Message 7 of 7
Latest reply