Underfloor Insulation

Does anyone have underfloor insulation ?   

Is it worth put in ? 

What sort do you have ?

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Underfloor Insulation

My floor joists are 4x10 beams, so I have some 10" of insulation (fiberglass batting).........and 3 feet of blown-in in the attic.  This was done as part of the construction process, so I can't measure its effectiveness.  I live in Southern Oregon, where it reaches -15F occasionally in winter and +100F frequently in summer.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Underfloor Insulation

Grandmoon---could be a use for those leaves you rake up every day.

Pack them in well--just thinking..............................................Richo.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Underfloor Insulation

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Not much joy to your question, grandmoon.

Back in the day, floor insulation used to be newspaper under the lino     grin.gif

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

Underfloor Insulation

I had been watching an ad on TV for Underfloor insulation of Bradford Bats and was just wondering if it was worth having them installed. 

Stawka  I can't put newspaper under the lino as I have polished floor and title.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Underfloor Insulation

I'm not sure about a year-long of benefits of underfloor insulation.  What effect will it have in summer?

How high is the underfloor area for ease of installation?  Do white ants like it as a hidden pathway?  Is it allowable in fire prone areas?

The cost of supply/install as opposed to a few area rugs with airconditioning turned up;  or rugs with a couple loads of firewood?

Just a couple of thoughts/questions.  

My own daughter noticed a difference with an area rug in the lounge - but she does wear ugg boots too in winter inside the house.

DEB

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Underfloor Insulation

I have no underfloor insulation. Best to insulate your external walls and roof as most energy loss is lost through the external walls and the roof...underfloor insulation will not achieve a great deal.
Message 7 of 7
Latest reply