Unlucky NZ Fisherman Crash-Landed From Above

"He had been fishing on Matata Beach when a light aircraft, out of fuel swooped low, gliding, over the DOC Camp to make an emergency landing on the beach, cleaning up the VERY unlucky fisherman and striking him in the head," the fire brigade said in a Facebook post.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11886488

Them big birds alway try to snatch yer catch, ay!

Darn good sock
Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Re: Unlucky NZ Fisherman Crash-Landed From Above

"There has got to be something crazy unlucky going on for that man to be hit by a plane on the beach."

who would have thought????????

Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

Re: Unlucky NZ Fisherman Crash-Landed From Above

Unlucky yes, but as it was a crash landing, it was on the cards something could get hit.

This brought back memories to me of a time several years ago. I forget exactly how many but maybe 10 or so.

It was a hot day, my daughter was out swimming in our above ground pool.

She came running inside and said she had nearly been hit by a small plane.

She said it passed over so low she thought it was going to hit her and she saw the faces of the people inside.

Now, we're on a slightly downward sloping block  and she said the plane had shot over the back fence and along the walkway direction (we have open land behind us with bike track etc).

I remember saying to her she must be exaggerating & it must have just looked low but no plane could be that low.

A few minutes later though, on the radio, we heard a small plane had crashed in a field about 2 suburbs from here. Both on board were killed.

My daughter & I have never doubted that that was the plane & that it was flying over because we had the small open area behind us, with a walkway and the pilot was trying to find a safe spot to come down. Always saddens me to think about it.

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply