VCAT & Vic Ombudsman COVER UP the Dept of Housing's Maladministration &Corruption -NO Govt Integrity

mariem888
Community Member

Dear All, 

My family and I are shocked by the level of Corruption & Misconduct within Victorian Government Departments (Dept of Housing , Victorian Ombudsman and VCAT). My family and I are very good Public Tenants (my Son has a disability Autism) but since our very valid complaints against Two Dept of Housing Problem Managers, we are experiencing discrimination, Maladministration and reduction in essential services by the Dept of Housing. The manner in which the Victorian Ombudsman and VCAT Mishandle our complaints is nothing short of Appalling Misconduct and Corruption. We are uncovering a deepset Lack of Integrity, Lack of Accountability and Lack of Transparency within each of these Government Departments, Laws need to be changed to Protect Public Housing Tenants but Also the General Public.

It is the job of Victorian Ombudsman to make the Dept of Housing staff accountable for their actions, but they have done nothing to resolve our complaints

• Dept of Housing are Discriminating against us and have stopped sending Automatic Rental Statements. Their policy states that Tenants are to receive statements every three months.
  • Dept of Housing Refuse to send us an Account Reconciliation despite our numerous requests,which is also against their Tenancy Management Manual.
  • Dept of Housing Breach the Residential Tenancies Act by Not maintaining our premises in good repair, No programmed works in Fifteen Years and also (leaving a 24 year old window lock faulty and unsafe (we had to replace it, and VCAT ordered Dept of Housing Reimburse us and 5 years later Dept have Not reimbursed us, leaving an old gas stove faulty (unsafe) and not servicing in 5 years, not repairing Storm damages in Years, ETC.
  • Rude and Confrontational Dept of Housing Staff
  • There are more complaints but they will exceed this page.

Until The Victorian Ombudsman Act 1973 is corrected, Vic Ombudsman staff will not bother to do their jobs properly. A report (full of errors) came back from a "Junior officer" at the Ombudsman office who stated she will not investigate our complaints. She got all the facts wrong. We escalated this to her manager who replied "Sorry but we have limited resources" The Law states that the Victorian Ombudsman decides whether to make enquiries or investigate complaints (two different things), when we ask for the details of the responses by the Dept of Housing to the Vic Ombudsman, the Vic Ombudsman refuse to provide this information as they state that the Victorian Ombudsman are not subject to Freedom of Information. So where is Transparency to allow us to correct Department of Housing Inaccuracies and Misleading Statements???

As for VCAT, from our experience they take the Cake for Misconduct and Corruption. In our last Tenants Application to VCAT against the Department of Housing, Senior Member completely Left Out of the Final Written Reasons all the repairs that the Dept of Housing were Requested to do by Consumer Affairs, also VCAT Senior Member convenientely left out most of our vital evidence, he also made numerous Errors for eg "Big hole in the roof finally filled after days instead of Three and a Half Years".

Our Family again have taken the Dept of Housing to VCAT but we are currently experiencing, Biased Members which we requested be Disqualified, also No fair hearing, No impartiality and gross Misconduct. VCAT have Prevented Three persons we Summoned into VCAT which is vital evidence to our case (One being the Junior Vic Ombudsman Officer who made nothing but errors in her report).   All the Best to you All.     mariem888

Message 1 of 85
Latest reply
84 REPLIES 84

Re: VCAT & Vic Ombudsman COVER UP the Dept of Housing's Maladministration &Corruption -NO Go

Not directed at OP but reminded me of something I see all the time.

What gets my goat is people complaining about the government without taking a good look at themselves and realizing it's their own actions or lifestyles that has them in the situation in the first place. (Not everyone of course)

Smoking, drinking, gambling also fuels the fire.

Things may not be perfect, but by gee we are lucky.

Only 13.9% of Australians are living below the International poverty line. 

That's 86.1% above, a fantastic result.

Through some retail outlets I am involved in I deal with social welfare dependant people every day and from many the rudeness, unhygenic/smelly, bullying, shoplifting, disrespectful people our staff endure every day is unbelievable. Yet they are the first to try to lay blame on others. We get accusations of assault made to police when we have gently physically moved an offender away from spitting on our staff. I could go on.

But the point is in some areas, many have created their own bed and need to lie in it.

image host
Message 71 of 85
Latest reply

Re: VCAT & Vic Ombudsman COVER UP the Dept of Housing's Maladministration &Corruption -NO Go

esayaf
Community Member
Yeah, she probably did want you all to agree with her. Thankfully you lot only like to kick while people are down. Great community spirit, if you are one of the group. All the rest can you know what.
Message 72 of 85
Latest reply

Hi everyone, 

Please refrain from posting comments which violate the Discussion Board Usage Policy.

In particular, Posting disruptive or hostile comments, including interpersonal disputes.

Thanks,

luna-2304

Message 73 of 85
Latest reply

Dear esayaf,

Thank you for your Support we really appreciate it Smiley Happy

marie

Message 74 of 85
Latest reply

Message To lyndal1838,

Message 75 of 85
Latest reply

A little true story.

When my first husband left me in 1964, he cleaned out our Bank account and left me with five children to care for without any money to keep paying the rent on a house in a Melbourne suburb. My english was very limited and I had no idea where to go and get help.

A Police man, who was looking for my Ex, helped me. In his spare time he took me to the Housing Department and filled out forms for me. He also took me to Social Services to apply for a Deserted Wifes Pension. Not long after I was offered a flat in a high rise block in Prahran or a three bedroom house with garden in Lang Lang. I had no idea where Lang Lang was, but a house and garden sounded like heaven to me. I just wanted a safe place for my children.

Neighbours told me that I am going bush, miles and miles of nothing, but I paid the first fortnight rent, got the keys and organized the move. We arrived there on a Saturday and I got the shock of a lifetime. There was no electric or gas stove, just an oldfashioned wood fire stove. As a city girl, I never lit a fire and had no idea what I needed to get the stove heated. Also the Toilet was outside in a little shed. (learned later that it was called a Dunny.) The bathroom had a big bathtub and a copper for laundry, the tricky bit was a chip heater to heat the water for both. Otherwise the house was clean and roomy with a Fireplace in the lounge room and a huge garden all fenced in. No carpets, no lino, no curtains, but I was happy to have a home for my children and myself.

Word spread quickly in that little town about my arrival and the local people came to help me. Because I could not have the electricity connected until Monday, some ladies brought candles, a casserole and cakes for us to eat. The local store owner brought a box full of essential groceries and organized for some men to bring me firewood, kindling and old newspapers, and to teach me how to light a fire in the stove. It was the best move I have ever made and did not expect the Housing Commissin to supply city style comforts.

I lived there for six years. Made a beautiful flower garden at the front and had a vegie grden out back, plus plenty of room for th children to ply. I would propably still live there, but I met my second husband who was a single father to four children, and when we got marrid I moved to his town, where he worked.

Anywy, fast forward.....

When my husband got very ill nd had to leve work, things becme to much for me to take care of the big house and gardn we lived in. I had two lots of ageing parents to care for and my husband could not do much anymore, so we wanted to downsize and get a smaller place.

There were three Housing Commission house in town that had been empty for more than 18 month. We were hoping to get one of those, but because they were two bedroom places we were not ellible for them. Housing Commission did not recognise that from our nine grown children some of them would like to visit and stay for a few days. They had their rules and stuck by them. That was in 1988 and one of those houses is still empty and falling apart.

We eventually got a small Unit in the local Retirement Village, where I am still living with my third husband. Housing Commission hs over time built some lovely brick homes in our town and most people moving here are happy, but it is amazing how many complain that this is a dead place without city entertainment and shopping areas. Living on Social Service thy should be glad to have a nice home to live in, but some people still believe they are ENTITLED to receive the same as what other people work hard for.

The friends I have that are still living in public housing, have no complaints. Ask for help in  calm, friendly and plite manner, even if you have to ask several times. Tact and diplomacy, courtious and humble requests bring results eventually. Get agressive and threatening and people will get their backs up. Especiallu Governments Departments

That is my experience with getting tings done.

Erica

Message 76 of 85
Latest reply

I never lived in public housing, but after my divorce the only thing I could afford was a little shack outside of the city with one bedroom and sunroom for kids' bedroom, which meant I had to commute for about 2.5hours a day.  It had only wood stove for cooking  but the chimney was in such a state that I was sure if I light a fire in it the whole place will burn down, and yes, there was a dunny in the back :); I never seen one before  LOL.  Because of the condition the bank decided it was not habitable and valued the "improvements" at minus $2000 and would not give me housing loan, but the lovely bank manager gave me personal loan, which meant higher interest and was over only 5 years.  That meant I could not afford to get a stove or replace the hot water system, which took whole day to heat up only about 10cm of hot water in the bath.  The high repayments meant I had no disposable income although I was earning good money.  So I looked around all sort of junk shops and found second hand plug in 2 element cooker, and later on one of those small plug in ovens, and that  kept us going for couple of years until I managed to get another financial institution to give us housing loan. 

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 77 of 85
Latest reply

Bravo ,,Erica.

Good onya for posting....................Richo.

Message 78 of 85
Latest reply

bear1.jpg

Message 79 of 85
Latest reply

From my experience all landlords should take a leaf out of the department's book. Having rented all my life I can honestly say the Dept of housing wins hands down as a rental provider. I don't quite understand how the ops manager has affected the progress of maintenance requests. As a tenant when something gets broken or breaks down you ring the call centre and they send someone out to fix or replace it. I've accidentally broken a window and they were there within an hour to board it up and it was replaced the next day... I've had the bath replaced, guttering, hot water service all with no questions asked and no problems... I honestly can't say how much I appreciate living in a govt house, which offers security, stability and affordability. And things actually get done in a timely manner, much quicker than any landlord/Realestate I have ever rented through...
Message 80 of 85
Latest reply