WORDLE - anyone else trying the daily online word game?

I recently stumbled across WORDLE online.  For the uninitiated, it is a daily word guessing game where you have to try to guess the word in 6 or less tries.

https://www.powerlanguage.co.uk/wordle/

This, from Wikipedia, explains the game:

Every day, a five-letter word is chosen which players aim to guess within six tries. After every guess, each letter is marked as either green, yellow or gray: green indicates that letter is correct and in the correct position, yellow means it is in the answer but not in the right position, while gray indicates it is not in the answer at all. The game has a "hard mode" option, which requires players to include letters marked as green and yellow in subsequent guesses. The daily word is the same for everyone. The game also has a dark mode as well as a high-contrast theme for colourblind accessibility, which changes the color scheme from green and yellow to orange and blue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wordle

This abc news story has some tips for playing:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01-26/why-wordle-has-become-a-new-online-obsession/100782794

I have found that most that most days I can get the daily word in 5 tries or less (mostly 5 though).  Interestingly, there is a spinoff of WORDLE called LEWDLE, where the words are lewd, or naughty, words.  I have better success with LEWDLE than I do with WORDLE . . . getting the word in just 2 or 3 attempts.  Not sure what that says about my private school education 🤣

Message 1 of 4,945
Latest reply
4,944 REPLIES 4,944

Re: WORDLE - anyone else trying the daily online word game?

Oh! I have a lovely 2-row result!

Wordle 590 2/6

🟩🟩🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

(Shared from my phone)

I’m just wondering if s&d’s problem is related to using a particular browser.

Message 2751 of 4,945
Latest reply

Daily Dordle 0371 4&5/7
🟨🟨🟨 🟩🟩
🟨 🟨

🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 🟨🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
zaratustra.itch.io/dordle

Sting like a bee in a book…

Message 2752 of 4,945
Latest reply

Daily Quordle 371
5️⃣4️⃣
6️⃣7️⃣
quordle.com
🟨🟨 🟨🟨
🟩🟩
🟨🟨🟨 🟩
🟨🟨🟩 🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

🟨🟩 🟨🟨🟨

🟩 🟨
🟨 🟨
🟨🟨 🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Bottom right was tempting me with a biblical possibility for just a nanosecond, until I reminded myself it couldn’t be - because of where the T could not go.

Message 2753 of 4,945
Latest reply

Daily Octordle #371
2️⃣6️⃣
7️⃣5️⃣
3️⃣9️⃣
8️⃣4️⃣
Score: 44

I’ve GOT to go through this one piece by piece! Is this my best ever score in Octordle? I think it must be.

My starter was CRATE. This gave me top left immediately.

I then used an eliminator word BOUND. It’s among my regulars (along with words such as DINGO, LINGO, HOUND, MOUND, POUND and quite a few others). In this case, 3rd block left was revealed.

I now had 4 letters and good placement of bottom right. It could be one of two words. I went for one of them; it was correct.

Row 2 right had also been made obvious; I really should have played row 2 right before bottom right, I suppose… 

Looking at top right, I had the last 3 letters in place, and one letter that couldn’t be at the start, which of course gave me that word.

2nd row left - I had only the starting letter and one more consonant. That meant there must be the only vowel I’d not yet played, and possibly another letter I’d not played… I made an informed guess for the word, and was correct.

Bottom left… I knew the last 3 letters. Without many unplayed letters, I suspected a double use of one of the letters, and made a guess. Correct.

Block 3 right… I had the last letter and three other yellows… but given the nature of one of those, I thought it was probably the starting letter. Almost certainly then I knew the second place letter and which one would go 4th. I had only to guess the middle letter… Two possibilities. Spinster or starver. I made my guess, and it was correct.

I hadn’t even realised that this was the final word. 

Message 2754 of 4,945
Latest reply

I'm using the "Epic" browser, and have been since I started doing Wordle. Maybe it's time for a cache and cookies clean out. I might do that if the share option doesn't work tomorrow.

Edited to add: Congrats on your 2 rower! That's awesome! So is your Octordle too. Very well done indeed. 44 is very impressive.

Message 2755 of 4,945
Latest reply

OMG!!! I didn't even realise scores in octordle could go down into the 40s!!!

That is an epic result, countess. I can't recall you having such a low score since scores started to be shown.

If I get down to 60, I've had a good day. 😂

I had a look at your placements and the only way you could do better is if instead of solving from 2-9, you got them all in 1-8. I imagine that is a very rare feat. I wonder what the absolute bottom(top) score could be then? Maybe 40?

Anyway, here is my wordle for today.

I didn't have trouble with it, I am on a computer.

Wordle 591 3/6

🟨🟩
🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Message 2756 of 4,945
Latest reply

I was going great guns on this one till I hit about turn 7.

I tried a logical word in #8 and it wasn't 'it'.   Must give you a warning, American spelling alert on that answer. If you get #5, it will help towards it.

I also took 3 guesses to get the correct version for #3.

Daily Octordle #372
🕐3️⃣
🕛5️⃣
8️⃣6️⃣
4️⃣9️⃣
Score: 60

Message 2757 of 4,945
Latest reply

I don’t think it’s logically likely for one to guess Octordle with the first word revealed first off… and that giving enough information for the second word, and so on! 

Yes, I’m frankly amazed with that result (solved in 9). I had to share each step in amazement.

Okay… on we go.

Wordle 591 3/6

🟩🟩
🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

CRATE was my starter. I immediately started thinking of possible words, and used PLUSH as my second. It was clear what vowel I would need, and there was only one logical possibility for the word.

Message 2758 of 4,945
Latest reply

Daily Dordle 0372 4&5/7
🟨🟩 🟨🟨
🟨🟨 🟨
🟩 🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
zaratustra.itch.io/dordle

4&5 seems to my usual for Dordle.

Message 2759 of 4,945
Latest reply

Daily Quordle 372
5️⃣7️⃣
4️⃣6️⃣
quordle.com
🟨🟨 🟨🟨
🟩 🟨🟨
🟩
🟨🟩 🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 🟨
🟩🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

🟨🟨🟨 🟨🟨
🟨
🟨🟩 🟩🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 🟨🟨

🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Another 4567.  I think it must be because I’m trying to catch four fish with the same bait…

Message 2760 of 4,945
Latest reply