Wall bed, Murphy beds

I'm in the process of downsizing,   from a large 2-br flat to a small 1-br flat.

The sales have gone through (yippee) so I expect to move mid July, and am decluttering for all I'm worth

I've come across these wall beds and am rather keen to get one for the bedroom, thus allowing much more space for other things (like my keyboard, and exercise machine) which I couldn't fit in with a normal bed.

has anyone had any experience with these?  I know they're very popular overseas.

Any comments  would be really welcome. 

(edited for poor spelling)

Message 1 of 32
Latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Wall bed, Murphy beds

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Nice idea Bright, also pricey methinks.

Also you'll have to try some of them out, re the weight.

None of us are getting any younger, and it might prove too hard later in life

Just my thoughts on it.
Message 2 of 32
Latest reply

Wall bed, Murphy beds

Nice one Stawks. Looks great. 

They say the spring mechanism means you move it with the "fingertip".  I've watched some videos and they do look easy to move.  Anyway I'll keep on checking them out as this place I'm moving into is just what I want but really really small. 

Message 3 of 32
Latest reply

Wall bed, Murphy beds

I don't have experience with them but like you, have heard this type of furniture is popular overseas.

My only tip would be that it may cost an arm & a leg but go for quality, the best quality you can afford.

Stawka is right, weight matters. The easier it is to put up & down the better for you.

My only query would be the exercise machine. Would it be possible to get a smaller version of it so it sits in the corner? There may be some times you want to leave the bed down for a day or so.

Message 4 of 32
Latest reply

Wall bed, Murphy beds

Wall bed, Murphy beds

So funny,a blast from the past,   but interesting that wall beds were used as long ago as that.

We're just catching up it seems.

springy that's a great idea,  exercise  machines look so clunky so I'll look around for maybe a foldup one. Maybe change from an elliptical to a rowing. 

Message 6 of 32
Latest reply

Wall bed, Murphy beds

Palermo Queen Size Wall Bed | eBay

photo 214a93fa3a9e326200857a2dbc30e730_zps379416e4.jpg
Message 7 of 32
Latest reply

Wall bed, Murphy beds

Tks sandy i will check it out

Message 8 of 32
Latest reply

Wall bed, Murphy beds

@bright.ton42 wrote:

So funny,a blast from the past,   but interesting that wall beds were used as long ago as that.

We're just catching up it seems.

springy that's a great idea,  exercise  machines look so clunky so I'll look around for maybe a foldup one. Maybe change from an elliptical to a rowing. 

Or you could get a fold up combo model. If it saves enough space you might be able to keep the regular bed.

Here's a video of ten different kinds.....I like the one at 5:30. 

Message 9 of 32
Latest reply

Wall bed, Murphy beds

I don't have any links to some of the folding furniture ads I saw a while ago, more is the pity. Looked like quality stuff.

I did go to read some of the ebay ads & Ikea ads but I would be careful of those models. Wherever it says to buy a folding bed for the spare room because it isn't worth having a bed take up all the space when you only use it half a dozen times a year-well, that rings alarm bells.

You want one that is comfortable & specifically made to go up & down thousands of times, not just a few times a year. heavy duty.

Message 10 of 32
Latest reply