What Bob Hawke Said...

...."the worst economic decision made by any Australian prime minister since federation"

Hawke made the comment at the National Press Club on Wednesday, joining the former Labor foreign affairs minister Gareth Evans in attacking the survey during the question and answer session of Evan"s speech about his book Incorrigible Optimist.

But his intervention was blasted by another former prime minister later on Wednesday, who accused the Labor veteran of suffering from memory loss, and recalled Hawke's previous characterisation of a pensioner who was critical of him as a silly old bugger.

Tony Abbott, who is pushing for a no vote in the postal survey, told 2GB Hawke now needed to look in the mirror.

"You know I have a lot of respect for Bob Hawke as prime minister," Abbott said." He was a good prime minister by Labor standards, :smileylol: "butI think it's time Bob looked in the mirror, frankly."

Cat LOLMan LOLRobot LOLSmiley LOLWoman LOL

Abbott said Hawke was suffering a memory lapse about wasteful Labor expenditure.

"I think Bob Hawke is suffering from memory loss," he said.

"Let's face it, it was the former Gillard Labor government which spent $16bn on school halls “ grotesquely overpriced school halls “ including on schools which already had them.



The stimulus package, including the school refurbishment program, was actually legislated while Kevin Rudd was prime minister, not during Gillard"s tenure.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/oct/04/bob-hawke-says-marriage-survey-the-worst-econ...

What about the PInk Batts fiasco?

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

What Bob Hawke Said...

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Why do we have to point and tut, tut?

They're all a waste of taxpayer's money, and it won't be the last time.

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

What Bob Hawke Said...

i think most australians look back on hawkes govt with not such bad memories as with most of howards time as PM,

wasnt until howard got complete control of both houses and went power crazy he got the old heave ho!

however, none of the PMs since howard will be rememberred with any pride by the people in general.

oh and i definately am not a fan of howard but he ran a tight ship for the most part and was a LEADER!

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

What Bob Hawke Said...

@davidc4430 wrote:

i think most australians look back on hawkes govt with not such bad memories as with most of howards time as PM,

wasnt until howard got complete control of both houses and went power crazy he got the old heave ho!

however, none of the PMs since howard will be rememberred with any pride by the people in general.

oh and i definately am not a fan of howard but he ran a tight ship for the most part and was a LEADER!

Its nice that we can completely agree on something David....Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

What Bob Hawke Said...

@davidc4430 wrote:

Before we get all nostalgic and misty-eyed about John Howard and his time in govt, let's pause to reflect that he wanted to introduce changes to workplace legislation which would have seen each and every working person being pitted against each other to see who would work the most, for the least wages.

John Howard introduced the GST. and it was a very battle to ensure that it wasn't applied to basic foodstuffs.

He was a Conservative party politician and, like the rest of their ilk, red in tooth and claw, trying to cut and gut the average working person while supping on their bleeding vital juices in the process.

He lost his govt and he lost his very own electoral seat because of these policies.

He remains a hated member of the Right Wing of politics and tried to do this country great damage all to profit an elite few. But then again, it's hard to blame him for that; after all, he he was/is a member of the Lying Nasty Party.

Let's look back through a clear lens, shall we?

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

What Bob Hawke Said...

Bob Hawke..June 1987.......

No Australian child will be living in poverty by 1990.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

What Bob Hawke Said...

i dont think i said either bob or john didnt do things that were unpopular, or even said stupid things during their time as PMs.

i just like to point out that as 'Leaders" go they did well in a very difficult job.

neither allowed themselves to look second rate or like they didnt lead their party.

bob had paul standing behind him knowing he wanted his job for a long time.

john had peter doing the same to him.

look at recent leaders, they were knifed by their own team!

will Turnbull last? well its not looking good is it?

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

What Bob Hawke Said...

@johcaschro wrote:

@davidc4430 wrote:

Before we get all nostalgic and misty-eyed about John Howard and his time in govt, let's pause to reflect that he wanted to introduce changes to workplace legislation which would have seen each and every working person being pitted against each other to see who would work the most, for the least wages.

John Howard introduced the GST. and it was a very battle to ensure that it wasn't applied to basic foodstuffs.

He was a Conservative party politician and, like the rest of their ilk, red in tooth and claw, trying to cut and gut the average working person while supping on their bleeding vital juices in the process.

He lost his govt and he lost his very own electoral seat because of these policies.

He remains a hated member of the Right Wing of politics and tried to do this country great damage all to profit an elite few. But then again, it's hard to blame him for that; after all, he he was/is a member of the Lying Nasty Party.

Let's look back through a clear lens, shall we?

If you read Davids post properly ( Am I really sticking up for David in a political discussion   Smiley Surprised   )    you will see that he mentions Howard ran a tight ship UNTIL he gained control of both houses and went power crazy, then he lost the plot.

He came to the prime ministership with good intentions and was originally known as "Honest John" . At the time the monica was probably deserved. He introduced a code of conduct for ministers and while we all know how that ended up, it kept them in line for awhile. The intention was there. He took the GST to an election ( brave by anyones standard ) and won so like it or not, he had a definate mandate for that policy and showed strong leadership.

It was only in his last term of government that he completely trashed his record and legacy with the " weapons of mass destruction " and " children overboard"  lies. Basically saying anything and doing anything to get re-elected. 

Its sad to see a man of genuine moral principle turn so blatently dishonest and corrupt in the desire for power. Its also an insight into how addictive the power of politics can become for those inside its walls.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

What Bob Hawke Said...

@serendipityricho wrote:

Bob Hawke..June 1987.......

No Australian child will be living in poverty by 1990.

Define poverty? Is it parents who are given adequate money to house, feed clothe, educate their kids but choose to spend it on smokes, grog, drugs etc. or is it parents who try as hard as they can to provide these things but just cannot afford to do so?  

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

What Bob Hawke Said...

Then there was the infamous Mr Fraser who told us "that life wasn't meant to be easy"    The trotted back to his sheep n cattle property at Nareen and raked in his millions

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply