What do you think?

There are approx 100,000 homeless people in Aust, yet the liberal gov wants to spent 100 million dollars on a prebicite re gay marriage    .... Surely this money could be used ( better spent ) providing a home for our homeless?

Message 1 of 113
Latest reply
112 REPLIES 112

Re: What do you think?

BTW, they are now saying $122million to do a postal vote and after that they still dont have to accept the outcome!

Message 21 of 113
Latest reply

The whole sad saga has become an absolute joke    ...... Dont think it's even legal to call it a vote, more a poll    ...... 122 million dollars for a poll which isnt compulsory, isnt binding, the gov may or may not act on, what a circus the lib party is looking atm.

Turnbull was doing quite a bit of yelling today, lotta hot air seemed to be coming out his mouth but not much else

Sorry homeless peeps, ya house is going to have to wait a little longer 😞

Message 22 of 113
Latest reply

@davidc4430 wrote:

BTW, they are now saying $122million to do a postal vote and after that they still dont have to accept the outcome!

Apparently it would be cheaper(by about $120 million dollars) to get a polling company to do a poll, it would get the same result. At present if the plebiscite returned a no vote, the Government would say it is a non issued so we can forget it. If it is a yes vote, they can just ignore as it is non binding.

Message 23 of 113
Latest reply

@bushies.girl wrote:

Looking like yet another buck pass by the Libs    ..... More time and taxpayers money  being wasted "trying" to get their plebiscite motion through the senate.

I also have known quite a few homeless people, most of them women, who were fleeing a violent domestic situation. None of them were drug addicts, drunks, vandals etc. Many of them did have a mental health problem, mainly caused by the mental and physical abuse they had been subjected to by their partner/s.  Not all homeless people are in this situation by choice.

Of course, there is no  b n w answers but atm, I dont see any answers happening, lotsa promises ( excuses ) but not much action on any important areas.

I have no doubts there are very large numbers of woman and children forced into homelesness by domestic violence.

I havnt actually seen much of them, but that is probably because I mix socially more with men and have been involved as a supervisor for young male offenders with community work service orders.  Its not " appropriate or safe" for a 50 something YO. man to be associating with vulnerable woman and girls, so while I know thats a problem, I keep right away from that sector.

Having said that I do personally know of one young girl who was homeless at age 14 and yes it all ended pretty tragically as you can imagine.

Message 24 of 113
Latest reply

That money could be better spent. How about we send the front bench plus Tony to Manus or better still Yemen and pay Canada $122 million for Justin Trudeau.
Message 25 of 113
Latest reply

I hope CS is better supervised in SA than it is in Vic    .... 

Message 26 of 113
Latest reply

@tezza2844 wrote:

@davidc4430 wrote:

Apparently it would be cheaper(by about $120 million dollars) to get a polling company to do a poll, it would get the same result. At present if the plebiscite returned a no vote, the Government would say it is a non issued so we can forget it. If it is a yes vote, they can just ignore as it is non binding.

I will be surprised if this ( supposed ) poll actually takes place   ..... personally i think it's a knee jerk reaction from a gov, who really havent a clue what they are doing

Message 27 of 113
Latest reply

@bushies.girl wrote:

I hope CS is better supervised in SA than it is in Vic    .... 

Funny you should say that. The programme I was involved in got shut down in a mighty hurry after I had a converstation with one of the offenders. Nice enough guy but one of his past offences was at the very highest level and his placement was unbelievably innapropriate. I reported it to my CS manager and things came to a screaming holt the next day.

I cant tell you the full story, but lets just say, it was all kept VERY quiet and the school kids are all still safe.......:Smiley Surprised

Message 28 of 113
Latest reply

@bushies.girl wrote:

Personally I like the tent city in Martin Place, it's making a point, the occupants have shelter, food and most important mateship  .....  And they are making a point   .... shame the NSW state gov, isnt "getting" it

Tent City: Stories of survival behind Sydney's most high-profile homeless community

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-09/tent-city-residents-share-stories-of-survival-inside-sydney-ca...

what help could be afforded these people with 122 million $

Message 29 of 113
Latest reply

It would appear our esteemed Pm now feels the need to let us know, what a strong leader he is   ....... hmmmm another lie?

Message 30 of 113
Latest reply