What is the Relationship

Friend has a son who has a daughter who is a granddaughter.  The friends other Granddaughter has a daughter being a great granddaughter.

What is the relationship between the two little girls. 

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: What is the Relationship

@grandmoon wrote:

Friend has a son who has a daughter who is a granddaughter (call her A).  The friends other Granddaughter has a daughter being a great granddaughter (call her B).

What is the relationship between the two little girls. 

Stawka said:

Second cousins[edit]

The children of first cousins share a second cousin relationship. Second cousins share great-grandparents. People occasionally

mistake the child of their first cousin as their "second cousin" - however that would actually be a first cousin, once removed. The removal denotes the generational difference.

Sam and Susannah are second cousins because they are non-first cousins and non-siblings who share great-grandparents. In other words, Sam and Susannah's parents are cousins.

In the original example given by grandmoon, the 2 girls were not both children of first cousins. Great granddaughter B is the child of granddaughter A's first cousin.

If Granddaughter A also had a daughter (C) then C and B would be second cousins, or that's what it seems to be saying to me, but it is late at night!

But I'm with you.. I think I would just write 'cousins' on the form!! If anyone queries it, give them the details and let them work it out.Smiley Wink

Message 21 of 26
Latest reply

But I'm with you.. I think I would just write 'cousins' on the form!! If anyone queries it, give them the details and let them work it out.Smiley Wink

Thing is they won't be able to   either because of  dumbness/ weariness/ bluddy mindlessness/  anger at you/anger at themselves because of dumbness/ their day being ruined/  .....  one could go on, but they will accept whatever you say, trust me.  .

Woman LOL
Message 22 of 26
Latest reply

Bright - bit lost here.

WHO - won't be able to - due to all mentioned.

May I ask - why is the relationship of these two girls important.

Message 23 of 26
Latest reply

Pay attention, Dom

Post #3 -

I am writing an affidatit for the court and need to get the 2 little girls relationship correct

Message 24 of 26
Latest reply

I am a Great-grandmother.

My childrens children are my grandchildren and their children are my great-grandchildren.

My childrn are Uncle and Aunt to my grandchildren, and Great=uncle and Grat=aunt to my Great-grandchildren.

My Grandchildren are Uncles and Aunts to my Great-grandchildren.

In my calculation the answer to the question is Aunt and Niece.

Erica

Message 25 of 26
Latest reply

Think Stawks had it way back.

Friend + Spouse

Son + Spouse

Daughter - ie Grandaughter of Friend..........................................Other Grandaughter (Cousin of Daughter)

Daughter (Second Cousin of Daughter).

Think also they would be Second Cousins.

Message 26 of 26
Latest reply