What would you do? Bikers vs SUV

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/09/30/us/new-york-bikers-road-rage-video/

The New York City Police Department said a man driving a Range Rover with his wife and 2-year-old daughter inside Sunday struck a motorcyclist on Manhattan's West Side Highway, breaking his leg.

The SUV driver pulled over, and the bikers surrounded his vehicle, hitting it and spiking the tires, police said. The driver pulled away, hitting three more bikers in the process, police said.

Should the driver in the SUV be charged?

What do you think of bikers?

What would you have done if you were the driver in the SUV?

Message 1 of 186
Latest reply
185 REPLIES 185

I would have grabbed my family.......and run like the clappers from the bikie gang..

Message 2 of 186
Latest reply

*ibis
Community Member

biker?

que

Message 3 of 186
Latest reply

from what i have seen it looks like one of the bikers slowed down without a reason and the SUV drove into him.

in my opinion they are both at fault.

if you ride a motorbike you must be aware of what is going around you as car drivers behave like  morons towards you, not noticing a 200 kg bike etc..... they just seem to be blind, only notivcing cars

the SUV driver should have kept a bigger distance to the bike.

the reaction of the other bikies was unreasonable.

Message 4 of 186
Latest reply

@**freethinker_bob** wrote:

The New York City Police Department said a man driving a Range Rover with his wife and 2-year-old daughter inside Sunday struck a motorcyclist on Manhattan's West Side Highway, breaking his leg.

The SUV driver pulled over, and the bikers surrounded his vehicle, hitting it and spiking the tires, police said. The driver pulled away, hitting three more bikers in the process, police said.

Should the driver in the SUV be charged? yes he should be charged for all 4. (were the other 3 injured, or just damage to their bikes?) Hopefully self defence or necessity is a defence for whatever he is charged for and the judge will take the circumstances into account though for the other 3. But the law must be applied equally, the police should not get to pick who gets charged and who doesn't. That's not their job.

What do you think of bikers? Temporary Australians.

What would you have done if you were the driver in the SUV? exactly what the driver did in this scenario. attempted to flee to keep my family safe.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 5 of 186
Latest reply

@crikey*mate wrote:

Should the driver in the SUV be charged? yes he should be charged for all 4. (were the other 3 injured, or just damage to their bikes?) Hopefully self defence or necessity is a defence for whatever he is charged for and the judge will take the circumstances into account though for the other 3. But the law must be applied equally, the police should not get to pick who gets charged and who doesn't. That's not their job.

Interesting answer. I like it. I guess you can argue that a couple of those riders were just innocent bystanders and they have the right to feel cheated if the driver wasn't at least charged. However, those hurt should also blame the other riders for threatening the driver of the SUV, if they haven't done that, he wouldn't have been forced to respond the way he did. 

I don't believe the driver will be charged as it does seem like self defence. 

If a gang surrounds your car, denting it and slashing the tyres, no reasonable person would stop and get out of their car. 

Message 6 of 186
Latest reply

@crikey*mate wrote:

Interesting answer. I like it. I guess you can argue that a couple of those riders were just innocent bystanders and they have the right to feel cheated if the driver wasn't at least charged. However, those hurt should also blame the other riders for threatening the driver of the SUV, if they haven't done that, he wouldn't have been forced to respond the way he did. 

I don't believe the driver will be charged as it does seem like self defence. 

If a gang surrounds your car, denting it and slashing the tyres, no reasonable person would stop and get out of their car. 

It looks as if he had no real choice but to plough through them. According to another story I read about this they were trying to force cars off the road and preventing cars from entering the highway so they had a clear run of bikes only.

Message 7 of 186
Latest reply

I don't know Bob, from what I see the SUV was tailgating the bikers. It wasn't as if the bikers were pointing a gun at him when he drove over them, they probably were telling him off for tailgating them.

I won't tailgate a single biker....they're usually stuck behind a slow driver, otherwise they are out of site in no time.

A hundred bikers! Yeah....I'm giving them all the room they want!

Message 8 of 186
Latest reply

@*jimmeh* wrote:

I don't know Bob, from what I see the SUV was tailgating the bikers. It wasn't as if the bikers were pointing a gun at him when he drove over them, they probably were telling him off for tailgating them.

I won't tailgate a single biker....they're usually stuck behind a slow driver, otherwise they are out of site in no time.

In one of the videos you can see the bike pulling in front of the SUV before almost stopping. 

Message 9 of 186
Latest reply

@freakiness wrote:

@*jimmeh* wrote:

In one of the videos you can see the bike pulling in front of the SUV before almost stopping. 

Yes, and just before that...right at the beginning you can see him tailgating a different biker. Tough to say because is that where it started? I saw the results of a biker getting ran over. With that in mind....right at the beginning of the video....I would have not gotten that close, I would have just pulled to side and let them pass.

Maybe if the Mayor had not rejected their application for the gathering, none of this would have happened.

They do for every other "group".

Message 10 of 186
Latest reply