Why do poor people buy expensive or unnecessary things?

Why do people live beyond their means, especially those on welfare?

Sure, people can spend money on whatever they want but how many times have you seen people who are supposedly struggling financially with nice phones/clothes ordering at takeaways/restaurants when they should be saving and eating at home. 

How about those who have children to feed, yet they're happy to spend their welfare money on alcohol and ciggies?

Can poor people justify spending money on non-essentials?

Message 1 of 71
Latest reply
70 REPLIES 70

Re: Why do poor people buy expensive or unnecessary things?

Why do all Bob's threads ask for ' judgement ' .

Message 11 of 71
Latest reply

@the_bob_delusion wrote:

Sure, people can spend money on whatever they want but how many times have you seen people who are supposedly struggling financially with nice phones/clothes ordering at takeaways/restaurants when they should be saving and eating at home. 

How about those who have children to feed, yet they're happy to spend their welfare money on alcohol and ciggies?

i dunno bub, why dont you tell me why you buy expensive or unnecessary carp?

Message 12 of 71
Latest reply

We had just better hope the 'poor people' are not paying for sex 

Message 13 of 71
Latest reply

I can't help myself - sometimes he's underpaid - this begs the question of quality really. Robot Very Happy

Message 14 of 71
Latest reply

@daydreams_12 wrote:

What are non-essentials in your eyes?

I find this topic quite off putting.  What right has anyone to say what someone should or should not do with their finances.

Many "Welfare" recipients are not in your "Category" through something they may or not have done.  There is always 2 or sometimes 3 answers to this question.

I am an Aged Pensioner and on limited income.  At times I like to treat myself to little luxuries.  I spent more than 50 years working while trying to provide for grandchildren whose mother was killed in a nasty accident.  I tried to give those kids as much as I possibly could.  They didn't have the brans name clothes or super fancy shoes but did at times get the odd take away.  Those weeks I went without.  They missed a lot but never complained. 

Now same kids are self supporting and although not wealthy do not forget what happened in those years.  Nan is frequently helped out.

Again "What are non-essentials"

Would you consider ciggies and alcohol essentials?

Message 15 of 71
Latest reply

cezm
Community Member

@the_bob_delusion wrote:

Can't say I've ever stood behind someone in the takeaway queue and asked them how much income they have and where it comes from. 

Message 16 of 71
Latest reply

What about middle income and rich people who live above their means?  Cards maxed out, keeping up with the Jones', wanting to have the best of everything, buying big houses they can't really afford, gambling in the hope they'll make the money they need to pay these bills.  Worst case scenario - embezzling their employers to fund a lavish lifestyle?  Some of the cases seen on TV for embezzling - they didn't look poor to me.

I wonder if it comes down to how they were brought up - parents who were spendthrifts, bought items on credit cards instead of saving etc.....setting a bad example.

People who live beyond their means are across all levels of society.  Not all 'poor people' are careless or extravagent with money.....same for middle incomers and the rich.

Message 17 of 71
Latest reply

@the_bob_delusion wrote:

We live in a materialistic society. People are also forced culturally to have shiny things. A sad fact.

Message 18 of 71
Latest reply

Here in the US we have "foodstamps" so that folks don't have to go hungry. (Though these days, it's on a debit card instead of an actual, "stamp"... still, the charity money can only be spent on groceries, not fast food or dining out)... and we also have many charitable "food pantries" where the down and out can go to pick up free food directly.

Perhaps something similar could be worked out for the other necessities... for instance, instead of receiving cash, recipients receive vouchers that require landlords and utility providers to bill a government agency in order to collect their payments.  I don't know about you down there, but we already have such assistance for housing, if a person qualifies.

Cash for drugs, alcohol and cigarettes is probably not a good idea.  These things are bad for the health and the poor are usually already on public health assistance.  We should all strive to keep those costs down.

If such programs were in place then all could be assured that if they saw one of the poor dining out, for example, the money that they were spending came from doing odd jobs, panhandling, or some other form of gift and NOT from the pocket of the taxpayer.

Message 19 of 71
Latest reply

LOL - that should be cartooned.

Message 20 of 71
Latest reply