deafblind woman refused Jetstar flight

Perth deafblind woman refused on board Jetstar flight says airline discriminated against her

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-05-25/deafblind-woman-vanessa-vlajkovic-unable-to-board-jetstar-fli...

very sad once again a person with a disability is treated badly.

would she be refused a ride on a bus? or a train?

Message 1 of 60
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

50% vision maybe, 5% total BS ....... you have spun some good ones but this is one of your best lol

It would appear from this and other past comments that you have made, that your life has been one of boring mediocraty. You seem to find it difficult to believe that others are out there doing stuff, trying new things and challenging themselves. Its a bit sad really, as I suspect that both you and I have probably run the larger parts of our races now. 

My life may have been difficult at times, but its been one heII of a ride. When I put my head down for the last time, I wont be left wondering what if ???

It would appear the blind-deaf woman is also giving it her best shot. She may not have made the plane flight, but she has challenged a broken system and may well pave the way for a review of airline practices. She has also initiated discussion of the challenges faced by those with dissabilities and may have actually made a real and meaningful difference to others lives.

lyhargr_0 I wonder if you can honestly say the same thing ???

View solution in original post

Message 60 of 60
Latest reply
59 REPLIES 59

It doesn't read to me that Jetstar discriminated against her. That's harsh and typical of the modern trend to play the 'It's because I'm.... card'. Jetstar stuffed up and that wasn't good enough. But they have a safety policy to follow. They apologised and I hope they learn from this and improve their service. But I do not see anything to suggest they treated her in an unfair manner just because she is deafblind. 

Message 2 of 60
Latest reply

I agree - no matter the ' disability ' - the responsibility - lays with the individual.

Don't go too close to the edge - oh sheesh - there was no sign telling me that.

Message 3 of 60
Latest reply

@domino-710 wrote:

I agree - no matter the ' disability ' - the responsibility - lays with the individual.

I think thats a little harsh. The woman contacted Jetstar twice before attending the airport to confirm arrangements for her flight. Yes they stuffed up, but the answer would be simple. Have a hostess ( is that what they call them now ? ) assist the woman to her seat and allocate a staff member to assist the woman in the unlikely event of an emergency.

My wife is completely blind and regularly uses taxis and public buses to travel unaccompanied to the city. She phones the bus company a couple of days before to make the appropriate arrangements ( as the deafblind woman did ) and has never had any problems. Sure we live in a large rural town / city which is small enough for bus staff to know their regular customers. They reserve the same double seat for the missus at the top of the stairs just behind the driver each time. This allows her to access everything herself with the assistance of her guide dog.

She also arranges for a sited guide or the bus driver to assist her to a taxi at the other end once he has sorted out all of the other passengers and their luggage. Its not really that hard or a big drama. She's been doing it for years without any problems and everyone has been very helpful and accomodating.

She also uses a very accurate talking GPS system that can be programmed to give directions in metre increments to the city taxi ranks and final destination including right to the front door  etc. Technology has come a long way in assisting people with disabilities..

Message 4 of 60
Latest reply

@chameleon54 wrote:

@domino-710 wrote:

I think thats a little harsh. The woman contacted Jetstar twice before attending the airport to confirm arrangements for her flight. Yes they stuffed up, but the answer would be simple. Have a hostess ( is that what they call them now ? ) assist the woman to her seat and allocate a staff member to assist the woman in the unlikely event of an emergency.

My wife is completely blind and regularly uses taxis and public buses to travel unaccompanied to the city. She phones the bus company a couple of days before to make the appropriate arrangements ( as the deafblind woman did ) and has never had any problems. Sure we live in a large rural town / city which is small enough for bus staff to know their regular customers. They reserve the same double seat for the missus at the top of the stairs just behind the driver each time. This allows her to access everything herself with the assistance of her guide dog.

She also arranges for a sited guide or the bus driver to assist her to a taxi at the other end once he has sorted out all of the other passengers and their luggage. Its not really that hard or a big drama. She's been doing it for years without any problems and everyone has been very helpful and accomodating.

She also uses a very accurate talking GPS system that can be programmed to give directions in metre increments to the city taxi ranks and final destination including right to the front door  etc. Technology has come a long way in assisting people with disabilities..

Chameleon - all regular readers here would be aware of your wife's diffculties.

That - which you have described above is exactly someone taking responsibility.

It is not comparable to a commercial airline - with several hundred passengers - all deserving equal consideration.

How many hostesses to go around - it is not only emergencies - but simple everyday necessities - like bathroom facilites etc.

Depending on an unlikely emergency - circumstances may not even allow a hostess to reach that particular passenger.

Could she even find a breathing aparatus.

As stated had the airline got it right - both disablities - the young woman would have been denied travel without a carer.

Not sure how often you have flown - but no - there is no simple ' answer '.

Without a carer - it is doubtful the young woman would have even been eligible for travel insurance.

Message 5 of 60
Latest reply

I get your point and agree with some of it. A lot probably depends on the individuals attitude. The missus is very practicle about her situation and is quite understanding that she might have to wait now and again for assistance. Sometimes this can be for extended periods of time. She also tries to minimise the inconvenience she causes others, reducing her requirements for assistance to the minimum.

Having spent quite a bit of time in the disability sector I appreciate there can be people with disabilities ( as in other walks of life ) who can tend to play up their issues. They are definately in the minority, but they are out there and when you come across them, they can be very " high maintenence". 

It can be very frustrating for people with disabilities when there is an obvious lack of care or empathy to their situation, especially by large corporations and their staff such as this airline. 

The deafblind woman phoned twice to make the appropriate arrangements. She paid for her ticket, packed her bags ( no doubt with some excitement at the prospect of her first independent flight ) and got to the airport in time, only to find the airline staff had stuffed up. I dont think she is being unreasonable in expecting they would make the neccesary arrangements to get her onto the flight. 

Message 6 of 60
Latest reply

Well - I think one point has been missed :

"I called [Jetstar] twice and had a discussion with some staff to make sure that they knew I had a disability, to make sure that they knew I had special needs," Ms Vlajkovic told the ABC through an interpreter.

The young woman is deafblind. 

Message 7 of 60
Latest reply

@chameleon54 wrote:

I get your point and agree with some of it. A lot probably depends on the individuals attitude. The missus is very practicle about her situation and is quite understanding that she might have to wait now and again for assistance. Sometimes this can be for extended periods of time. She also tries to minimise the inconvenience she causes others, reducing her requirements for assistance to the minimum.

Having spent quite a bit of time in the disability sector I appreciate there can be people with disabilities ( as in other walks of life ) who can tend to play up their issues. They are definately in the minority, but they are out there and when you come across them, they can be very " high maintenence". 

It can be very frustrating for people with disabilities when there is an obvious lack of care or empathy to their situation, especially by large corporations and their staff such as this airline. 

The deafblind woman phoned twice to make the appropriate arrangements. She paid for her ticket, packed her bags ( no doubt with some excitement at the prospect of her first independent flight ) and got to the airport in time, only to find the airline staff had stuffed up. I dont think she is being unreasonable in expecting they would make the neccesary arrangements to get her onto the flight. 

something ive noticed about attitudes to any one who has a disability and thus needs help to live a more normal life by some in society is 'if they cant help themselves they should stay home'

our once 'lend a hand' to those less fortunate in society is getting an influx of 'i'm ok jack stuff you' people.

there is no proof this woman couldnt do the things such as 'find an oxygen mask'

and what is she couldnt?

a so called normal person in a panic might well not be able to do it either.

who says she cant use a toilet without help?

are they saying if in an emergency they have anyone on board who cant follow 'procedure' will not get any help?

absolute rubbish.

lets say she had a 'carer' with her and there was an emergency and the carer was killed, would no one step in and help her?

if the answer is 'no' then what a sad situation.

looks to me like a lot of excuses to cover a wrong.

Message 8 of 60
Latest reply

I don't know when you last flew.

Just a question - if travelling with a small child/children - who do you give air to first.

Where is you life jacket.

The airline delayed the flight 45 minutes.

How many missed connecting flights.

How many missed a job interview.

How many missed an important Dr's appointment.

It goes on - what about the cost to airlines - late planes - traffic control - it is not simple.

Message 9 of 60
Latest reply

@domino-710 wrote:

I don't know when you last flew.

Just a question - if travelling with a small child/children - who do you give air to first.

Where is you life jacket.

The airline delayed the flight 45 minutes.

How many missed connecting flights.

How many missed a job interview.

How many missed an important Dr's appointment.

It goes on - what about the cost to airlines - late planes - traffic control - it is not simple.

when i was 5

i watch the tv programs about why planes crash and would only fly in one at last resort.

as for this woman, she didnt hold the plane up from takeoff.

that was the idiot airline staff.

they had a simple choice, refuse her permission to fly or put her in her seat.

for 45 minutes they didnt do either.

she did what she was told to by the airline people.

she told them her situation, when booking her flight, it was their screw-up not hers.

if people were delayed and missed apointments, were late for anything, its not her fault.

instead of running around not knowing what to do they could have just put her on the damn plane and crossed their fingers!

Message 10 of 60
Latest reply