is recycling a big con?

Recycling industry demands federal action as mountains of rubbish builds up

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-14/recycling-industry-demands-federal-action-as--waste-piles-up/...

seems as long as we were able to send our carp to china everything was sweet, but we had no "PlanB"

now china dont want our carp its just piling up in hidden places.

govt has dropped the ball on this it would seem.

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: is recycling a big con?

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Which government are you holding responsible David?

As far as I am aware recycling is the province of state governments?

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

The link says 'Recycling Industry demands Federal action'.

And hopefully, taking it away from the States.

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

I believe individuals have to take some responsibility and not generate so much rubbish in the first place.
Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

great idea, except how do you as an individual 'stop creating so much rubbish' when everything you purchase comes with excess packaging?

some years ago we were told we cant just keep sending certain carp to land fill, agreed.

we were told the 'govt' was introducing 'recycling'. everybody would recieve a bin for our recycle stuff to go in. good.

we were charged via our rates for this new service. no problem mate.

what we were not told was where our stuff was going. i had no idea it was being shipped to china, until very recently.

i believed our govt had sorted out deals with private companys to take our carp and create new stuff from it.

i saw tv shows about these companys, how they were using my carp via recycling to make all sorts on things.

now i learn its a big lie, now i learn china doesnt want our carp now. now i learn my carefully washed and sorted stuff i put into my special bin is winding up stockpiled or worse put into landfill. not ok mate.

as to why do i not just make less carp. easy to say. the only way i see to do that is stop buying stuff, that will work.

but it'll also put thousands of businesses out of business.

it goes back to govt to convince manufactorers to use less carp wrapping out stuff.

how many items do we buy that come in so much wrapping it take us an hour to open it?

easter eggs are a perfect example, those nice boxed eggs! 90% packaging 10% eggs.

luckily i dont do easter these days, but i remember when the family did the easter thing the pile of cardboard and plastic and silver foil afterwards was crazy.

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

I gave up washing my recycles when we had that 10 year drought.

They want me to recycle AND save water.

They can't have both.

I pay enough for water.

They can wash their own damn recycles.

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

I thought that each state gov was responsible for the way recycling was monitored in it.s individual state

Apart from soft drink bottles n the odd food can, which  we do rinse out, cause I dont want to attract ants, not much else goes into our recycling bin. It's all recycled into other uses at home or passed on to someone else who needs it.

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

This is just one company who uses recycled plastic to our advantage.  

www.replas.com.au/

and another

http://www.arplastics.com.au/

So why doesn't the 'governments' support and fund those company who are being resourceful to reduce and reuse.

I can't remember where I saw it but a very very long road has been made from recycled plastics plus.

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

The road you mentioned is in the OP's link.

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

I rinse, whatever recyclables need washing, in the water after I washed dishes.
Message 10 of 13
Latest reply