plant id help

Can anyone  name this,it grows very lush and has an awfuly strong smell ...some kind of herb perhaps, has woody stems about 30 cm high thick suculent leaves and quite tall pyrimid shaped blooms of many little purple fowers . It is a bit like sage but not quite.

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: plant id help

It looks like something I grow in my herb garden - variously described as 3-1-1 herb, 5-in-1 herb, mother of all herbs, queen herb. Has a very fleshy leaf smelling a little like mixed herbs, good for rich beef casseroles etc. Also grows like a weed and virtually impossible to kill.

Just a suggestion.....

Marina.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Marina thatt looks close,the leaves on mine are more fleshy and  plentiful like in rosettes at the top,id say it is the closest iv seen . It looks like that queen of herbs is a form of borage . So id guess this is some type of it .

I just got it from a garden where they had pulled lots out and put on footpath.They do not know what it is either but it certainly is very pretty and vigorous. The smell though is just so strong ,I cannot say I like it. It excites the dog and cat .

im just trying to work out what it is as one im very curious and I just got given a 2nd big bag of it and im wondering if its ok in shade ect.

I will treat it as the one you sugest as im sure its same family

thanks

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

It looks like something I grow in my herb garden - variously described as 3-1-1 herb, 5-in-1 herb, mother of all herbs, queen herb. Has a very fleshy leaf smelling a little like mixed herbs, good for rich beef casseroles etc. Also grows like a weed and virtually impossible to kill.

Just a suggestion.....

Marina.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Why not Sage?

Related image

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

The leaves are to thin on sage these are fleshier.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Marina thatt looks close,the leaves on mine are more fleshy and  plentiful like in rosettes at the top,id say it is the closest iv seen . It looks like that queen of herbs is a form of borage . So id guess this is some type of it .

I just got it from a garden where they had pulled lots out and put on footpath.They do not know what it is either but it certainly is very pretty and vigorous. The smell though is just so strong ,I cannot say I like it. It excites the dog and cat .

im just trying to work out what it is as one im very curious and I just got given a 2nd big bag of it and im wondering if its ok in shade ect.

I will treat it as the one you sugest as im sure its same family

thanks

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

I googled around and it is definitely a form of Cuban origano which is the same family as the one you have if not the same there seem to be several varieties but mine is definitely one of them ....
mystery solved 😊🐴
Message 7 of 7
Latest reply