poor old garbo loses his job

ok, when i was much younger garbage was collected by a truck with a driver and usually 3 or 4 men on the back collecting and emptying bins into the truck.

then a revolution came, new trucks and bins, clever trucks that emptied the bins all on their own.

exit 3 jobs, the driver survived

wasnt that clever?

now its goodbye driver,

Maroochydore to ditch wheelie bins in high-tech rubbish revolution

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-09-21/maroochydore-rubbish-revolution-envac-underground/7864272

the smart asses from university have killed of another job held by the little guy

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

imastawka
Honored Contributor

But.....someone's got to press the button twice a day

Looks like a good way to dispose of  a body  your rubbish 

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

ecar3483
Community Member

It's a story that sucks in so many different ways.

LOL

😉

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

they really do need to get rid of checkout operators, petrol station atendants, cleaners and anywhere else those without university degrees could get a job. the auto industrys just about gone. so we're nearly there.

one question for malcome and scott, just what do you rekon the ones that your whinging are dole bludgers going to do as a job?

i guess we'll see a big growth industry,

yep, work for the dole.

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

Op shops have never been so organised since Work for the Dole

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

It's actually quite sad when you look at the list of jobs that no longer exist. It's growing by the year. It won't be long until posties are done away with too. Everything will be delivered by underground pneumatic tubes.

My brother lives in the inner city in one of those skinny one way streets with parking on one side of the road only. With cars parked there is little room for anything else. I was surprised one time when I was there on garbage day, there were 2 blokes on the back of the truck. They have the normal wheelie bins (both large and small), but due to the nature of the street, the blokes on the back would drag them out to the back of the truck where the bin lifter was.

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

I was on the dole 12 years ago (the most I got was $45 one fortnight because of Mr Tippy's pay. I applied for the other benefits like the healthcare card). The day I signed up for the dole I signed up for work for the dole. Centrelink thought I was nuts and said I had to be unemployed for 6 months before I could do it. WTH? I didn't want to sit at home, I wanted to be doing something and not get out of the habit of going to work, which happens very easily when unemployed. After much fighting on my part, they let me start.

I did 2 great programs. One was renovating one of the churches. Learnt quite a few skills, like French polishing, laying carpets, plus we painted, which I was already proficient at. The other program was rejuvinating a camping and picnic ground out of town, which was also good. During the course of both, Centrelink paid for us to get a number of cards and certificates. Blue card, green card, white card, confined spaces, food handling, just to name a few.

People are quick to bag out work for the dole, but I found it to be beneficial. If you choose the jobs you want to do, rather than jack up and they assign you to something, there's some pretty good stuff out there. I had trouble choosing when I signed up for the second stint. There were so many that interested me. In the end I tossed a coin.

It was also good for us because we were struggling on one wage (part time at that), so the extra $20/wk from doing WFTD helped.

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

id like to know is there anything stopping a spaced out druggy dropping her baby into the super garb shute thinking its a new kids ride?

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

From your link:

"It would be very difficult to retrofit this anywhere else."

I can't see it happening anytime soon elsewhere. My husband drives a garbage truck in the Sydney CBD. It would be a nightmare to try and install such a system there. 

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

I got pinged for Work For The Dole when I was on the dole fifteen years ago; the job provider looked at my listed interests, and suggested a scheme they had running at the local community radio station.

Learnt a heap - sound engineering, voice-overs, etc. Even got my own program after a while.

Fifteen years on, I'm still there - also on a second station, did a few months on a major commercial station as well, and have even popped on TV a few times.

Worked out very well for me!

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply