"Cancel Culture": What, exactly, does that mean?

Recently, in this forum, reference was made to a "dumb lefty cancel culture" . I've been wondering ever since  what exactly  those words mean.

Do they refer to a) a cancelling of culture or  b) a culture of cancelling? 

If a) then which or who's cultures are being cancelled?

and if b) then what exactly is the culture trying to cancel?

Also, if there is, indeed, a "dumb lefty cancel culture" does that imply  there is also a "dumb righty cancel culture"

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: "Cancel Culture": What, exactly, does that mean?

@not_for_sale2024 wrote:

And David recently returned and I hoped he would enjoy some time here again. But what a welcome back! And the fun loving members here are the ones who are supposedly driving people away!! The minds of some people.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sure that david4400 is not going to enjoy is time any less due to what is portrayed as an attack on the fun threads or some of the regulars. That's a long stretch. Looking at the bigger picture, the context and also the "feeling of the moment" by the person who made the statement mentioning memes and cat thread, I can easily see there's no malice. There's nothing directed at anyone here who is here to enjoy interaction in a healthy way! The "frustration" if you want to call it something, is due to a whole lot of negativity and disregard for those who want to discuss certain issues that concern us. I hope that the gentleman who is portrayed as a transgressor forgives me for making an assumption on his behalf, but believe he is accurate in what he says and he has actually without being obvious become a spokesman for the members here that feel a small section don't have a sense of fair play.

Some time back last year, a thread was loaded on with just nonsense and posts to mock the originator and the couple of interesting participants. The people, no four beside myself spoke out. Two of them are well-respected female members. One of them, an originator of a diverse range of topics and had regular interaction hasn't posted here since  late last year. She's still around though. Another member, a respected member, well-known for her even-balance and great conduct here and in the buying board actually mentioned / disapproved of the bullying on that thread.

Here's an example: Joe and Patricia head on over to a barbecue. Some folks got in early and scoffed some of the steak , sausages and salad.  But the real bad part was that a few other folk had loaded food & beverages into the boot of their cars while Samuel and Maria the hosts weren't looking.  Joe says to Patricia ... ... "Look all that's left is a couple of damned sweet corn cobs and some tomatoes".  This is a real let down!

As for Cancel Culture, there are a few different interpretations of it.

Message 11 of 16
Latest reply

@4channel wrote:

The "frustration" if you want to call it something, is due to a whole lot of negativity and disregard for those who want to discuss certain issues that concern us.

@4channel

I have tried to engage in meaningful discussion with you for quite some time.  However, you have made no secret of the fact that there are posters you choose not to engage with . . . with me being one of them.

To be honest, it doesn’t bother me too much as it gives me the opportunity to punch holes in things you post that I disagree with without my posts being challenged by you.

An observation of mine is that you rarely engage anybody in discussions, you just browbeat them with scroller posts containing:

- links to outdated content, sometimes with iffy relationship to the thread topic

- a smorgasbord of colours

- multi-sized text combinations

- child-like hidden references to others through letter substitution in words

- an obsession with circles (according to you, everyone gets the  treatment)

- condescending remarks towards other posters

Your ability to introduce unrelated topics into just about any thread is legendary!  I don’t mean that in a good way, I mean that it has become monotonous and boring.  I have seen you introduce the Iraq War into a lot of threads, along with John Howard, and flouridation and GM foods.

I am not saying that these things are not worthy of discussion . . . I am saying ‘time and place’.  Your obsession with the media, big pharma, corrupt politicians has clouded your judgement (at least you have given bank exec golden handshakes a rest for a while!).

Spoiler
I am just one box away from a full card this so far this year

F0D6BE6A-C401-4B73-B44F-515C1A4E7FDF.jpeg

I am not posting this because of any hostility as there is no hostility between us.  I am posting this as an on-topic reply to things you have posted here.

I am happy to discuss the content of this post with you, or not.  I really don’t care either way.  BUT, if you don’t want to discuss these things with me then I get a free hit to post them without rebuttal.  Can’t argue with that!

Message 12 of 16
Latest reply

Spoiler

@4channel wrote:

I'm sure that david4400 . . . . 

psssssst!  It’s davidc4430
Message 13 of 16
Latest reply

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:
Spoiler

@4channel wrote:

I'm sure that david4400 . . . . 

psssssst!  It’s davidc4430

From the person who hates to be called 4chan

Message 14 of 16
Latest reply

Samuel & Maria need a better class of friends. 😀

Message 15 of 16
Latest reply

@the_great_she_elephant wrote:

Recently, in this forum, reference was made to a "dumb lefty cancel culture" . I've been wondering ever since  what exactly  those words mean.

Do they refer to a) a cancelling of culture or  b) a culture of cancelling? 

If a) then which or who's cultures are being cancelled?

and if b) then what exactly is the culture trying to cancel?

Also, if there is, indeed, a "dumb lefty cancel culture" does that imply  there is also a "dumb righty cancel culture"

------------

I am copying a definition that I think is valid.

The Cancel Culture is a collective attempt to harm the reputation, livelihood, and social presence of people, products, TV shows, celebrities, employees, etc., for violating a particular ideological standard. Cancel Culture warriors will use ridicule, dox (publishing personal info about someone), attempt to have their bank accounts removed, get people fired from jobs, and get others not to support a person, product, or company socially and financially. It can be an oppressive means of attempted control of others.

The author then went on to outline some popular topics where it applied but I don't agree at all with his wording of some of them as his wording showed bias (IMO).

But I think he was right in his claim that at the moment, In today’s world, the standard that delineates what is acceptable and what is not is a liberal, pro-LGBTQ, pro-abortion, anti-racism, and anti-Trump attitude. If you don’t agree with the leftist agenda, you can lose your reputation, popularity, or even your job.

This is obviously an American speaking. I would hope that eg anti racism was more a general across the board thing and not just a 'leftist' leaning. I would think that here in Australia, most politicians and members of the public, whether Liberal or Labor, would not support racism. That's not to say it doesn't exist, just that I don't think most people would support it.

I see 'cancel culture' at its most extreme as being very intolerant of any opinion that may go against mainstream but the bit I don't like is where sometimes discussion is attacked by claims of eg racism when it really isn't and it's a valid enough topic. ( Just to be clear, I am not talking about this messageboard at all, I am talking about in society).

I don't think all leftist thought is 'dumb'. Nor is all 'right wing' thought. But I am not a big fan of cancel culture as I think it tries to exert influence to shut down any dissent. I think cancel culture has been around since the year dot to some extent but with media use, it is much faster to spread these days.

Message 16 of 16
Latest reply