External backup storage

Well one has to live within ones means - and that can sometimes putting up with an older computer while the piggy bank is accumulating

Anyhow working or achival backups etc stored on an USB connected external drive is the easy way to go

, i am no different but connected to the older version onboard USB2.0 bus is a bit a slug while executing tasks like viral scans , large file transfers etc 

USB2_onboardbus_28-April-2020_10-12_rev3.jpg 

Clearly bus restricted to 25MB/s 

What could a bored system owner do ? Call for the computer muse.

Even on old grandfather computers there might be a 1x pci-e bus on the mainboard

which supports various host bus adapter cards for supporting various devices 

So it transpires a USB3.0 1x pci-e host bus adapter card is supported and low cost ! 

now maybe not as quick as onboard USB3.0 standards but at 3x speed , some may consider cost effective, under the circumstances 

29-April-2020_14-56_USB3_r5.jpg

Now considered a delight to use operationally ! Thank you system muse 

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

External backup storage

So does that mean to the computer user stoically waiting for tasks to finish ?

On this subject computer

onboard USB2.0 , first 2056 files only 

SAS_SCAN_USB2-v3.jpg

via USB3.0 pci-e 1x host bus adapter card 

SAS_ScanUSB3_v3.jpg 

A reduction of about 40 seconds in 324 seconds , handy but not really impressive, could there be other system processing characteristics that is affecting performance ?

Is an exec model , small form factor - not exactly gamer spec

Small internal area restricted air flow , home office design level, tiny northbridge heatsink - system now now with a ssd and max memory , modern spec security running in the back ground - could the chipset have been overheating, and so slowing the system to maintain function with stability ? 

Check out by replacing the oem heatsink with a larger capacity heatsink 

USB3_heatsink.PNG

Well for my computer that has turned out very satisfactory , even for this inept owner 

So stodgy computer performance for a particular task may not be a device compatibility or resource usage problem but a heat issue  

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

External backup storage

@rogespeed wrote:

Well for my computer that has turned out very satisfactory , even for this inept owner 

So stodgy computer performance for a particular task may not be a device compatibility or resource usage problem but a heat issue  

Similar thing happened when I installed that larger internal fan as the PC  was continually slowing down before

instalation due to the overheating but returned to normal with the installed fan which also kept the whole system

cooler and mostly dust free.good.gif

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

External backup storage

@go-tazz wrote:

@rogespeed wrote:

Similar thing happened when I installed that larger internal fan as the PC  was continually slowing down before

instalation due to the overheating but returned to normal with the installed fan which also kept the whole system

cooler and mostly dust free.good.gif

Definately a lesson there for those seeking to keep on top of ever increasing resource usage requirements - more work means more heat by a factor of 4 generated within the various sub-system chipsets, the subject heat sink upgrade was for the chipset - anyhow good to be reminded of air heat build up in the case, as this influences the ability of the heatsinks to shed heat 

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply