Keyboard gone mad

Just gave the keyboard on my Lenovo laptop a wipe and now  the keys won't work properly,  eg  'k' types  as k;p  and 'i' as 'iop'  and a couple of others affected.

I'm guessing  i pressed somethin g i shouldn't have done but don't know what.  Anyway it 's unusable.....any suggestions   please?

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Keyboard gone mad

I'm really not sure

Did you wipe the whole keyboard, or just one area? 

Is it possible you might have hit the fn key with another key at the same time ?

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

Keyboard gone mad

Hi enigma,   yes stupidly i gave the whole  keyboard one big swipe so wd have hit the Fn key.   What is it???   Have tried hitting it again but keys still  not working properly

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

Keyboard gone mad

The fn (function) key, it can be used for oodles of different things, but also if that gets hit/held with another key, it does all kinds of other  things (depending on what the other key is) 

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

Keyboard gone mad

Does anyone know how to disable it.... do i have to go into   bios?  If so how....a bit lost here

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

Keyboard gone mad

I'm afraid I have never used a Lenovo, I don'twant to suggest something that might stuff it even more

I've been looking at Google but most things I have come up with are about numbers lock getting jammed on, but that of course bring up numbers and not what you've described

I'll keep having little looks as I can and see if I can anything like what you are getting

But of course, hopefully someone who knows more about computers than I do will be around soon 

Fingers crossed

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

Keyboard gone mad

I keep coming up with this page

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Function-Keys.html

When I Google about the k;p 

But it is all clear as mud to me

Just thought I would put it in as there is a lot of k p action talked about 

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

Keyboard gone mad

What happens if you turn it off wait a minute or so and turn it back on.  Start with the real high tech solutions first

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

Keyboard gone mad

Tks enigma,  clear as mud to me too  🙂  But thanks. 

Gutterpunk tried that but still no good.  

Looking like another callout to ths tech bloke

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

Keyboard gone mad

Have you tried   1.  Turn off    2.  Unplug if applicable     3.  remove battery

Then reverse order

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply