Selling big brand reseller problems

Hi there,
It seems to sell big brands when your a new guy starting out, good luck. As you have to be an authorised seller(loads of roadblocks). I don’t wanna sell second hand big brand items.

It seems to sell stuff in bulk on eBay, you can only basically sell average no name stuff from
China or no name private labels, unless you an authorised reseller for a big brand..

Can people on eBay really make money selling no name yoga mats/no name underwear, as opposed to brand name like yoga mats or brand name clothing.. I wanna play with the big boys and be a reseller selling brand new big name brand items that I purchased from wholesalers to big brands. But it seems if you wanna sell brand new stock then you gotta accept you will just be selling cheap **bleep** from China and other no name brands. And with shipping costs, the margins are small.

Even buying from factory direct big name brands warehouses, you would still have to be a reseller to those brand names(factory direct shops often have fake stuff to unfortunately).
Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Selling big brand reseller problems

Most Big Brand companies spend a lot of time and $'s developing, manufacturing, advertising, setting up authorised distributors etc etc so it stands to reason that they would want to protect their outlay and commitment.

They are not going to look kindly on someone who wants to start selling outside of the contracts they have set up with their distributors, and imagine those distributors concern to see someone selling the products they have signed contracts and agreements on with the parent company. It is also a way of making sure that any of their branded product that is sold is genuine, and the warranties are valid (if new).

If perhaps you put yourself in their postition you might appreciate the angst that they are all feeling.

Just because you want the rules to change on eBay, fairly sure that they aren't going to.

eBay don't want the big companies coming after them for allowing their branded products to be sold, so you can bet they are going to jump on anyone who decides to flaunt the rules.

But if you decide to sell and can get past eBays blocks then be prepared for the Lawyers, cos these large companies are not shy in using them. Is it really worth it? Oh, and many of the eBay sellers will report you too, there will be no sympathy here.  

I understand that you might want to sell used or second hand branded product, but if the rules say you can't then you need to move on. 

Can't you find another different product to sell? There must be 1000's out there that are available and saleable?

Wish you well.

Message 11 of 16
Latest reply

@glenbankloel wrote:

Can't you find another different product to sell? There must be 1000's out there that are available and saleable?

Wish you well.

I suspect the problem is that the OP has already purchased a quantity of the items (genuine or not) from a wholesaler.

This from their opening post :-

"I wanna play with the big boys and be a reseller selling brand new big name brand items that I purchased from wholesalers to big brands."

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 12 of 16
Latest reply

perhaps a lesson learnt the hard way?

Message 13 of 16
Latest reply

@glenbankloel wrote:

perhaps a lesson learnt the hard way?

Possibly a very expensive lesson too. One should do research before outlaying money.

Message 14 of 16
Latest reply

I haven’t bought any stock yet, just enquiring. And yeah it seems big brands ain’t an option
Message 15 of 16
Latest reply

Sorry, but when I read your first message sounded like you had bought stock, my apologies for this misunderstanding.

And I think you are making the right decision about walking away, do some research and find another best seller, there are thousands out there. Keep reading other sellers listings too and see what sells, and keep asking questions, read the boards here and read read read.

We started out selling anything and everything, things from around the house, and went to many different venues to buy and to find what sells.  Whilst you are a "new" (?) seller try your hand at selling as much mixed as possible, you will soon find out what you like, can handle, storage, and what is best seller. ie cut your teeth to learn how to use eBay, and read their policies etc....

But word of warning if you are looking to do drop shipping that is a whole other ball game.

Fraught with difficulty, many sellers here have experience with it, so talk to them. We don't, walked away once we understood what it entailed. 

Good Luck going forward, exciting journey if you can find your sweet spot.

Message 16 of 16
Latest reply