change of mind refunds

I recently sold an item and no sooner had the buyer had it. They changed their mind and didn't want it.

Now I know at normal shops, they don't have to accept returns or give refunds for change of mind.

So why do I have to do it. ? I have it clearly stated in my listings that there's no refund for change of mind.

Ebay jumped in and told them that they could return it for a refund.  I am really frustrated about this.

What can I do?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

was it for the fruit and veg dicer,  if so your listing offered 30 day returns, which includes change of mind return, as you are required to accept returns for  INAD items .

Stating No returns in the listing description means nothing, if you have allready offered 30 day returns

On any listing, all of the information for change of mind returns is specified under the postage tab. You will have selected either (a) acceptance of returns or (b) No returns.

You will also have selected who pays for the item’s return postage - the buyer or the seller.

Anything stated in the item description about returns for change of mind is irrelevant and overridden by what you’ve selected to show under the postage tab.

The returns information applies only to change of mind returns, not to item not as described (wrong item, faulty, damaged, different, etc.); the latter are of course a different matter. Under the MBG, sellers must refund for SNAD/INAD and they are the ones who pay for return postage.

Anything written in the item description section about no returns for goods that are SNAD/INAD is - of course - overridden by both the consumer protections in ACL (where relevant) and by eBay’s Money Back Guarantee. 

So… if the relevant listing stated “no returns” in the description section, but you didn’t have “no returns” selected under the postage tab, you have unfortunately enabled COM returns. You’ll need to check the listing of that item to see - and also to check in that case whether you specified return postage was to be paid by the buyer.

If the relevant listing did not have “returns accepted” under the postage tab, then the buyer must have opened a returns request on the basis of SNAD. In that case, you would have to fight the request with evidence that the item is as described… and that isn’t easy. You may be best off simply accepting the return and providing the buyer with the return postage label.

I hope you’re aware of the timeframes in the a MBG policy page.

As gutterpunkz said, if it was for the vegetable dicer, that ad had 30 day returns.

I looked at some of your other ads. The ones I saw did say no returns but I think you need to edit your listing as in the spiel, you say a refund will only be given if an item is faulty or not as described and the item must be returned at the buyer's cost.

This is incorrect. If an item is defective, you as seller must pay return postage.

If someone is asking to return an item for change of mind and ebay has okayed it, I think in that case, you can ask the buyer to pay the return postage. 

I had a very similar experience like this. As a seller we have no rights. 

You not not have it stated in your listings "that there's no refund for change of mind".

You have No Returns on your listings.

Without knowing what type of Return Case the buyer opened there is no way of offering any answer to your question.