A buyer saying his parcel didn't turn up despite showing delivered

bmanly3
Community Member

Hi, last month I got a sale and was delivered to the address shown on ebay. Today the buyer said he had it addressed to his friend as a present and did not receive it. Tracking says delivered. The buyer gave me positive feedback already saying that when he saw on tracking that it was delivered he gave it to me. Now he is asking if I have proof of who signed for it. It is getting to that 30 day limit and I feel as though this could be a scam. Does Aust Post even show a signature if I contact them?

What should I do now? How can I protect myself?

Message 1 of 47
Latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

Re: A buyer saying his parcel didn't turn up despite showing delivered

@numis_phil wrote:

Don't do anything. Tell the buyer item was delivered and leave it at that. If buyer then initiates INR they will lose. If buyer leaves negative, it will be removed by Ebay. Speaking from experience.....this is a scam and the buyer doesn't have a leg to stand on. 

I agree. I had a similar thing happen last year. Buyer opened an INR, despite the tracking saying it was delivered. She had a PO box at her local post office, which was in a remote area. Somewhere small enough where everyone would know everyone.

She was adamant she didn't receive it, so I told her to ask her post office. They said they probably put it in the wrong PO box, and it was too late now. I told her if she escalated the dispute, she would lose given the tracking said it was delivered. She closed the dispute and left me a neg. I sent ebay a message and they removed the neg within the hour.

Moral of the story is, don't fall for a buyer's BS to try and avoid getting a neg. Ebay will remove it upon request.

Message 41 of 47
Latest reply

@domino-710 wrote:

PS : - I am asked every month for ID - and Sig.

At home - usual delivery - always.

Everytime. 

When a signature is required, they basically ask me to confirm my name without an ID (which is something anybody could do, well, at least any woman).

Maybe if contact has to be avoided when a signature is required, which I fully understand, they should ask the recipient for their name before giving them the parcel rather than asking the recipient to confirm what they say ("Are you ********?").

And yes, I agree that it is about individuals. Some are really good and committed (sometimes, when they suddenly disappeared, I was even a bit sorry); others are not so good and don't even attempt delivery sometimes.

Message 42 of 47
Latest reply

bmanly3
Community Member

Hi and thanks for your help. Yes this was the case this time, a return request of item as it was not as advertised (so he says) but he doesn't have it so his friend says. He is claiming on the ebay money back guarantee. When I was doing part of the Aust Post investigation over the phone, they asked what was the delivery address, it showed it was correct. A day later they sent the email saying the postie rang the buzzer, and the person came down and accepted delivery of the item. It was in the email and I sent that to the buyer. Then I didn't hear from him again until the return request yesterday. I am thinking I should pick the Decline the return

This will automatically close the buyer's request.
Would you pick this one and then chat to customer service. Or just do it and leave it at that. Thanks.
Message 43 of 47
Latest reply

Personally, I would just deny the request (I think you can indicate a reason why you decline it) and leave it at that. If the buyer keeps harassing you, then you can contact CS.

Message 44 of 47
Latest reply

Thank you everyone. I have now denied and closed the request. I left a message with ebay giving my reasons for why and the circumstances behind it. I guess my next worry is a PayPal charge back within 6 Months. I will update if anything changes, thanks again.

Message 45 of 47
Latest reply

>> Moral of the story is, don't fall for a buyer's BS to try and avoid getting a neg. Ebay will remove it upon request

Not always.  I had somebody neg me because item didnt arrive, when the tracking indicated it had.  Ebay declined my request to remove the neg.

The handful of people who've neg'd me I block and move on.

Message 46 of 47
Latest reply

@bmanly3 wrote:

Thank you everyone. I have now denied and closed the request. I left a message with ebay giving my reasons for why and the circumstances behind it. I guess my next worry is a PayPal charge back within 6 Months. I will update if anything changes, thanks again.

If the tracking shows delivered, PayPal won't decide in the buyer's favour either. It is possible that he opens a case (as he seems to be quite persistent), but he won't win.

Message 47 of 47
Latest reply